Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HP 1-9 Into the Heart of Darkness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:13 pm 

Hi all

I am preparing HP 1-9 Into the Heart of Darkness

The XP summary lists 350xp, but the CP lists 250xp. To make matters more confusing, the VCP lists 350xp. Assuming the players do everything correctly, should I be giving them 350xp?

Also there is no replay cert, so for replaying players, I assume I use the VCP

Finally as a GM, I have already played the module. My understanding from previous threads is that when I GM a module I have already played I get a replay cert. Since there is no replay cert I assume I get the VCP?

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: HP 1-9 Into the Heart of Darkness
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am 

I've seen at least one other module from Arc 2 in which the XP summary, CP, RCP, and VCP list different XP amounts. :-(

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm 

That is a headache.

I would roll with the value in the back of the module (350xp). I would use the VCP as the replay cert.

My 2 cents

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 pm 

Just my opinion, but writing on a chronicle page that you received more XP than the chronicle pages lists as the maximum is a bad precedent to start. Theoretically, those logs are there for history and auditing purposes. And if it becomes acceptable to have "larger than maximum" values, they lose whatever meaning they had to begin with.

My opinion is to calculate the group's XP based on the module and if they earn more than the 250 listed on the CP, then cap it at 250.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:02 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
Just my opinion, but writing on a chronicle page that you received more XP than the chronicle pages lists as the maximum is a bad precedent to start. Theoretically, those logs are there for history and auditing purposes. And if it becomes acceptable to have "larger than maximum" values, they lose whatever meaning they had to begin with.

My opinion is to calculate the group's XP based on the module and if they earn more than the 250 listed on the CP, then cap it at 250.

I disagree in this case (to me, it is case by case). This pretty clearly should be 350xp - the calculations in the module all say 350 and the GM cert says 350.

I do think it would be really good for someone to go through and clean up the certs (making sure module matches CP, VCP, and RCP and that there are CP, VCP, and RCP (or an explanation of which to use if one is intentionally left out)).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:12 pm 

In some cases, and I believe this was intentional, some of the VCPs give slightly more XP than the CP does. My assumption (correct or incorrect) is that since a player is giving up his opportunity to play an adventure by eating it (which is when he gets the VCP) and giving up any opportunity to gain any special rewards that the adventure might provide, he is given a little extra XP as compensation/reward. So I would not assume that because the VCP gives out more XP than the CP does, that it was intended for the adventure to give out more XP.

Now with that being said, since the text of the adventure corroborates the idea that 350 xp was intended, maybe in this case it was intended. Regardless, history clearly shows that intentions don't always meet reality. And what an author intended and what really ended up happening don't always match. Edits often cause inconsistencies. And I stand by my argument that allowing players/judges to override what is listed on a CP because they *believe* that the CP was in error is a bad idea and should not be allowed nor encouraged. The CP is (and should be) the final arbiter of what is rewarded. And changes to that should be issued as an errata CP. To do otherwise is to invite additional chaos into the campaign.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 pm 

More chaos than trying to issue errata CP? The odds of any errata CP making it to everyone that played an adventure is vanishingly small. Frankly, I think the correct tact to take with regards to CPs is what the campaign has been doing so far (in my experience) - ignore them and trust the players/judges. I can certainly see wanting certs for unusual things (just about anything from Vault of Larissa, personalized awards, etc) but, mostly, players should be trusted that they are doing things correctly and honestly. At this point, I've started leaving most of my certs at home and just bringing my summary sheet (simple Excel spreadsheet I made to track xp, money, and story awards).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:36 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
...snip...And if it [CPs] becomes acceptable to have "larger than maximum" values, they lose whatever meaning they had to begin with.

That's a pretty good point. And though I am loathe to get into the auditing game I agree that the written record should be clear, self explanatory and free from players and judges making their own "fudges."

Still looking at the module and the VCP I think its pretty clear that in this particular case the numbers are wrong on the CP. What do we do in this scenario?

One possibility would be to just pass out the VCP. IIRC there is no special treasure or honors in that mod so it should work.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
<snip>
One possibility would be to just pass out the VCP. IIRC there is no special treasure or honors in that mod so it should work.

I'd be good with that as well.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:25 pm 

Hi all

I have another question with this mod (keeping it in the same thread for future searchers)

One of my player received the Sarishan Steel holy Symbol of Sarish. I can't find the rule but it is my understanding that users of Cants can't use wands but use holy symbols instead

Does that mean that the holy symbol is a item that can be used to place rune on to help with spell casting (as if it was a wand) like the sorcery rune or a fire rune; etc?

If this is the case I assume it is a Good quality?

Anyone have any ideas?

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next