Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Religions in the First City [spoilers for Vexing Priests]
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 am 

*** Spoilers for A2-HP5 "Vexing Priests" ***

In "Vexing Priests," I noticed that the Breath of Natüs went after personages who follow the Coryani Mother Church, the Milandric Church, and the One God Aii--but there seemed to be no attack against anyone in the Khitani Kalindruhl.

I initially presumed this was an intended fact and likely a clue. (Obvious thought is that the Kalindruhl was allied with the attacker. Though if I were a member of an elite group and wanted to eliminate the others, I'd arrange an attack on myself as well, but I'd just happen to have the remedy/prevention at hand. On the other hand, if I wanted to frame someone, I'd let them be the one person who wasn't attacked.)

However, a friend suggested that it's possible that this was an oversight, or it may have been a function of wanting to offer only two choices (rather than three) on whom to save. Was it intentional that there was no attack on the Khitani Kalindruhl?

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Religions in the First City [spoilers for Vexing Priests
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:15 am 

I have no official knowledge one way or the other.

I also noticed that there was no apparent attack on the followers of the Kalindrul, despite the fact the fact that their High Priestess was previously introduced in the campaign during the first LARP set in the First City (I don't remember her name). That might be suspicious.

Or not. Their High priestess was/is popular with a wide set of people and generally what she says is taken in the best possible light, as I recall. So maybe the attackers didn't want her wacked figuring whoever replaced her would be harder to deal with. A similar variation would be that there were only "3 Breaths" available and she just slipped off the menu by being slightly less threatening than the three targets listed in the mod. Or perhaps, since they also needed a personal object from the potential victims its also possible that they just couldn't get their hands on something from her.

But yes. Tukufu finds the fact she wasn't targeted suspicious. She is one of the 2 or 3 people I'm looking at as being most likely to sell out the First City to the Destroyer.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:43 am 

I too am suspicious of this, though I will point out that the First City allows all worship, and not just those four sects. What about the Elorii? What about the 3 Sisters? What about this Cult of the Bull that has been mentioned before by Henry in posts? I think the question may not be "Why ignore the Khitani" and more "why were these 3 specifically chosen?"

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:38 am 

The reason to that I think is obvious.

The Mother Church, The Milandesian Orthodox Church and the Kalindrul are all major players who can call upon their respective countries for aid. The Prophet of Aii had deep roots in the citizenry of the Pearl. Any or all of them could become centers of resistance to an occupier.

There may be a million weird religions in the First City but not many have real secular power.

The Pearls leadership was decapitated. The Milandesian Church is distracted and preoccupied with internal affairs. The new Bishop will be inexperienced with the city...and the Tomal Khan's cavalry/forces were liquidated at Tultipet. The people and institutions that could resist the Destroyer are being neutralized.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile