Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 2 questions about HP2-03 Ancient Battles Unfinished scen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:34 am 

acurrier wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
That seems insane. That's likely 1d10+4 damage bypassing all (or at least worn) AR every 2 ticks to likely 4 party members (2 per swarm since they can "deform" to any contiguous 4 squares).

Just to clarify, I was running it with the damage occurring every 4 ticks, not 2. Steve is correct, however, the module does not specify an attack speed (that I could find) or state that NAR applies to the damage.

And I appreciate it. The encounter was bad at every 4 ticks.

Every 2 ticks would have been insane. No attack roll and an average (not including explosions) damage of 9.5 gives 4.75 dpt per target (so likely 9.5 or 14.25 dpt total per swarm) which is much higher than any character can get (almost 3x higher iirc). If we go with the "expected" 9.5 dpt per swarm (so 19 dpt total) and look at healing - Diminish Fatigue heals on average 10-11 every 7 ticks (4 speed, 3 strain) which equates to roughly 1.5 hpt - let's be generous and say 4 people can cast it (or other heals) at 2 hpt - that's likely 11 dpt unhealed so about every 6 ticks enough damage is going unhealed to drop a character (likely spread out so nobody drops that quickly). Add in damage die explosion and the damage gets even worse.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 am 

Don't forget the gritty rule, beat fortitude defense and a wound. Not hard to get with some of the opponents we've been facing.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 pm 

Yep. I took 1 wound last night (30 damage from these swarms) and kept thinking it was likely that I would get another one. I spent almost the entire 45 minutes getting damaged by the swarm (at the every 4 ticks Akira mentioned).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:18 pm 

Hello Akira,

acurrier wrote:
It doesn't specifically state it in this combat, but there is a related enemy who deals Acid damage (and it states there that it bypasses all AR), so that may be the case.

Correct - the Spawns of Tzizhet all drip acids from their tendrils, thus why it's called Lash (tendrils) and Sting (Acid).

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:23 pm 

Hello Steve,

wilcoxon wrote:
Yep. I took 1 wound last night (30 damage from these swarms) and kept thinking it was likely that I would get another one. I spent almost the entire 45 minutes getting damaged by the swarm (at the every 4 ticks Akira mentioned).

And welcome to a Battle Interactive.

These are meant to be tougher than normal battles and the threat of death is meant to be there. However, as far as I know, no one died at the BI and I believe, no one did at your either. So at the end of the day, the encounters did what they were suppose to do: create a tough challenge for your Heroes.

Take heart however, this was the last BI released for home play.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:13 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
And welcome to a Battle Interactive.

These are meant to be tougher than normal battles and the threat of death is meant to be there. However, as far as I know, no one died at the BI and I believe, no one did at your either. So at the end of the day, the encounters did what they were suppose to do: create a tough challenge for your Heroes.

Take heart however, this was the last BI released for home play.

Yep. In general, I like BIs (this is my 3rd played (if you count Arcaniscon this year as a BI) and 1 GMd). Except for this year's Arcaniscon, it seems that there is always 1 scene I really dislike (archer "swarm" on bridges at Origins last year and this one (so far) in HP2-03).

I think my huge complaint with this one is it is completely irrelevant what your stats are. Defenses don't matter and AR is ignored. Basically the entire scene comes down to do you have enough healing to keep the group up long enough. Killing them isn't even that relevant. Also, if you don't have a blunt weapon or aoe attack spells, you effectively can't do any damage to them anyway.

I still have mixed feelings about no more home play BIs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 pm 

Welcome to Arcanis, where it pays to be a jack of all trades ;-). It was actually because of all the problems I've had in other games why I built my character(s) to be able to stand up to multiple types of threats, and swarms/murders specifically. In other games making a focused character is almost essential, but in Arcanis generalists are key I have found.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:07 pm 

Hello Cody,

Nierite wrote:
In other games making a focused character is almost essential, but in Arcanis generalists are key I have found.

That was my design philosophy from the beginning. When we first started on this road, I told Peter and the rest of the team that I wanted every single Hero to be able to stand on their own two feet. In fact, I think my exact words were, "Each party member should be able to be the main character in a story". meaning that you could pluck any one Hero out of a party and they would be competent enough to not only survive, but to rise above any challenge the story might provide.

So yes - specialization is not rewarded for a reason. There are plenty of games where hyper-specialization is necessary for a positive conclusion, but I wanted players to be able to create three dimensional Heroes.

So there you have it.

As you say, "Welcome to Arcanis!"

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:21 pm 

I gotta say, I love discussions like this. They always give me fresh ideas to jot down for opponents to future mods. (This one, in particular, gave me 2 new Murder ideas). I bounce them off some of the powers that be, and the greatest compliment I get is "What the hell is wrong with you?" :twisted:

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2