Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prophesy [Into the Blessed Lands & Vault of Larissa]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:54 am 

The forums have been quiet of late. So let me stir the pot. As everyone knows the current story line is called the Coming of the Destroyer. Far more than any of the other story lines we've seen from PCI, this one is riddled with prophesies. Although I've trade emails with several people on the topic, we lack a thread on the forums for our theories, or an aggregation of our thoughts.

So I’d like to open the topic and start with what I think of as the BIG 3 questions?

(1) At the widest scope: Is the Destroyer inevitable as a matter of the campaign plot? Or can we somehow make choices that would allow us to escape from under a pretty dark and dismal set of prophesies?

(2) How do people interpret the prophesies that we have? I would like to currently exclude the prophesy from Words of the Seer (at Origins formerly labeled the Mountain and the Phoenix). Since that module just came out, and there are presumably a lot of people that haven’t played it yet. I think the prophesies from Into the Blessed Lands and the Vault of Larissa are fair game. As are any other “older” sources people might want to discuss.

(3) Finally what, if any, actions should players (and characters) be thinking about taking in light of the prophesies? The answer to 3 in my mind is heavily dependent on what is the answer to 1.

I’ve listed the prophesies bellow:

[From: Into the Blessed Lands]:
"My brethren were gifted with a vision, a terrible one which showed unto us the image of the God-Emperor, who would stride out from the Hidden Lands and be welcomed as Liberator only to take the Holiest of Holies by shedding the blood of the most innocent.

"The very mention of his name shall make kings tremble, stop the heart of an Emperor and cause that which was endless to end. In his wake an entire people shall be liberated, their curse lifted but at the cost of their brother; while another is damned forever more in the eyes of all.

"And about his head floated twelve keys that shall unlock that which it most craves.

"But beware – though called savior by many and his followers legion, his true name is the Destroyer! The Enslaver of Humanity! None may stay his hand but the ember that is bereft of fire and even then it may not be enough, for when faith fails in one, faith will fail in us all!

[The Vault of Larissa]
“Out of the west, thousands of pounding feet
Rush towards our beloved city
They shall first be saviors, then conquerors
He shall wear the crown of many kings
And Emperors will fall dead before him
The last was first and lost to us before she was found
Only the invisible knew her name
Until the god emperor stood on this ground.”

[Codex of Heroes pg 16 – admittedly foreshadowing rather than straight prophesy]
From the far west a storm roils, a storm of vengeance against treacherous souls.

They sought to wash their hands of them and send them to their deaths. Where others found death, they survived; where others fell into thralldom they prospered.

They shall return and exact their vengeance upon those that cast them aside as if they were bitter fruit worthy only for the garbage heap. May the Gods have mercy on all those who stand in their way!

[Grains of Sand – a module from the old campaign that had a trove of prophesy. I’ve tuned blue the ones I am confident have already come true in the old campaign]

One million grains of sand can blot out the sun. The cat plays with the bird until it is ready to pounce. One thousand years is not forever. When the sword sows only bones, the scythe reaps only blood. One whisper in the silence can shake the pillars of heaven.

The Hegemony rises upon the coils of its ally. Woe to the powerful who scorned the least of the thirteen. Their secret shall tear the falcon in twain.

The child finally meets the Father. In blood it was begun and in blood it will end. Some will drink deeply, others will bathe in it.

Within their metal hives they ride upon the minds and eat of their sentiments. Man is cattle to Man. The wheel turns, as the beaten child becomes the beating parent.

Proclamation. Devastation. Prostration. Those who hold back the night fall. Shall any light be rekindled or shall the dead lie quiet within Neroth’s embrace?

The Standard lost, the army is demoralized. Loss begets loss as the City of Delights falls. [The Standard Lost probably refers to events in the rebellion/liberation of Abesios ... but Savona never fell]

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Prophesy [Into the Blessed Lands & Vault of Larissa]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:57 am 

So my personal OOC take on things ...

(1) This isn't a moot/trivial question. While my main character is very serious about trying to scuttle the prophesies, I'm not trying to poke Henry and the campaign staff in the eye either. To make certain adventures run, it may be that certain events need to happen and the campaign isn't open to their modification. Still we've collectively poked serious holes in Henry's plans before in LARPs and other events so I am guessing that while there is a certain "narrative inertia" we have some ability & agency to influence if things are better or worse. Its possible player actions directly or indirectly in the last campaign saved Savona from being invaded and seized by the Myrantians despite a prophesy that suggests Savona was doomed (in the alternative there may be a future Banner that will be lost causing Savona to be conquered).

(2) As I've written in Tukufu's letters I think the Destroyer/God Emperor is going to be a mature Calemnon with an army at his back and truly exceptional psionic abilities. My Break down:

Can we tell where the God Emperor is coming from? Probably: "the God-Emperor, who would stride out from the Hidden Lands" and "Out of the west, thousands of pounding feet/Rush towards our beloved city." So we're looking for hidden lands to the West of the First City. There's a lot of mysterious lands to the west like the Andai Ascedency, the Godless, the remnants of the Ossarion Empire. But none of them are "Hidden." Dhar Zhan Vor is to the West and is very much hidden. So that's where I believe the God Emperor is coming from (and where Calemnon disappeared from). But I've had at least on other person suggest that Xercel might also fit the bill leading the Remnants of Ravan Tindal.

It seems clear to me that who ever the God Emperor is he wants to sit on the Throne of Man. "And about his head floated twelve keys that shall unlock that which it most craves." The Throne of Man from the First Imperium was locked away with indestructible 12 keys.

It's also clear to me that the guy starts off with good press. "Though called savior by many and his followers legion," and "They shall first be saviors, then conquerors." So I assume the Destroyer is going to save the First City from some big threat before metastasizing into an even worse problem.

(3) So what can or should we do?

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:14 am 

I had a slightly different take on things:
val Holryn wrote:
[From: Into the Blessed Lands]:
"My brethren were gifted with a vision, a terrible one which showed unto us the image of the God-Emperor, who would stride out from the Hidden Lands and be welcomed as Liberator only to take the Holiest of Holies by shedding the blood of the most innocent.

"The very mention of his name shall make kings tremble, stop the heart of an Emperor and cause that which was endless to end. In his wake an entire people shall be liberated, their curse lifted but at the cost of their brother; while another is damned forever more in the eyes of all.

"And about his head floated twelve keys that shall unlock that which it most craves.

"But beware – though called savior by many and his followers legion, his true name is the Destroyer! The Enslaver of Humanity! None may stay his hand but the ember that is bereft of fire and even then it may not be enough, for when faith fails in one, faith will fail in us all!
The frequent references to Emperor do make it easy to think about Calemnon, but the last sentence makes me think of the True Dragon and the events leading up to this year's BI.
val Holryn wrote:
[The Vault of Larissa]
“Out of the west, thousands of pounding feet
Rush towards our beloved city
They shall first be saviors, then conquerors
He shall wear the crown of many kings
And Emperors will fall dead before him
The last was first and lost to us before she was found
Only the invisible knew her name
Until the god emperor stood on this ground.”
Again, sounds like the events leading up to the BI. 'Thousands of pounding feet' could refer to the Tultipetans who converted to the worship, or possibly the army that invaded.
val Holryn wrote:
[Grains of Sand – a module from the old campaign that had a trove of prophesy. I’ve tuned blue the ones I am confident have already come true in the old campaign]

One million grains of sand can blot out the sun. The cat plays with the bird until it is ready to pounce. One thousand years is not forever. When the sword sows only bones, the scythe reaps only blood. One whisper in the silence can shake the pillars of heaven.

The Hegemony rises upon the coils of its ally. Woe to the powerful who scorned the least of the thirteen. Their secret shall tear the falcon in twain.

The child finally meets the Father. In blood it was begun and in blood it will end. Some will drink deeply, others will bathe in it.

Within their metal hives they ride upon the minds and eat of their sentiments. Man is cattle to Man. The wheel turns, as the beaten child becomes the beating parent.

Proclamation. Devastation. Prostration. Those who hold back the night fall. Shall any light be rekindled or shall the dead lie quiet within Neroth’s embrace?

The Standard lost, the army is demoralized. Loss begets loss as the City of Delights falls. [The Standard Lost probably refers to events in the rebellion/liberation of Abesios ... but Savona never fell]
Lots of stuff going on here, I agree that they are likely talking about separate incidents. Reference to 'the coils of its ally' makes me think of the True Dragons, and were there not thirteen of them? I'm curious about the 'metal hives', guessing that it could be talking about the VO...but hard to say.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:58 am 

val Holryn wrote:
The forums have been quiet of late. So let me stir the pot.

Thanks, Eric! I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't think of a topic.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that this relates to the val'[REDACTED] based on the line "The last was first and lost to us before she was found/Only the invisible knew her name"

::Runs away from certain members of this community::

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 pm 

At Acurrier:

I agree that the Dragon Villa’Tavorentis is clearly hip deep in the prophesies. But looking at my maps I'm not sure if Tultipet really is West. In the Old Codex Map its NW of the First City. In the map from the Old Centurions Blog I think it's maybe more North (Its not marked so I'm guesstimating). Either way I think you could just as easily say North of the First City rather than the East/West. ...Of course one could also say that Dhar Zhan Vor is more South than West too.

But I don't like the "Dragon Argument" becuse its not clear to me why a Dragon would want to collect the 12 Keys and sit ion the Throne of Man ... assumings thats somehow physically possible given the massive size of Villa'Tavorentis.

My best guess at the moment is that the prophesy is self fulfilling. Because of the Prophesy the Dragon believes it is in danger. Because its in danger it wants to secure the Throne of Man so the prophesy can't come to pass. Because it attacks the First City the Destroyer has a chance to come in (from the west) as a savoir.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:57 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
But I don't like the "Dragon Argument" becuse its not clear to me why a Dragon would want to collect the 12 Keys and sit ion the Throne of Man ... assumings thats somehow physically possible given the massive size of Villa'Tavorentis.

Do you think the keys are actually keys and the throne is actually a throne? Seems a little too obvious to be one of Henry's creations.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:00 pm 

The throne is absolutely an actual throne.

The keys are actual keys as well; they're particularly long, can probably be broken down into component parts (bow, stem, collar, bit, etc...), but they are physical keys. Parts of various ones have been found over the years. Hints of others as well. The Vault of Larissa's Lament had one at one point...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:05 am 

I suspect it's more than just a throne. Given all that's been said about it I imagine it controls something or enables the person sitting on to activate something. I can't help but think of the "chair" in Stargate that activates the defense mechanism in Atlantis. If you have the right gene (Ancient) the chair responds otherwise it's just a chair. :-)

On a related note I was thinking about posting this very topic but Eric beat me to it. Just as well he's far more articulate. :) What got me thinking about it was reading the back story in the mod Words of the Seer and realizing that a True Dragon was scared of the Destroyer. The got my attention. If it is Calmemnon he is definitely not human or even val anymore. Remember it took multiple Valinor to subdue these Dragons and not all were successful. I still wonder who would win in a fight Manetas or Villa'Tavorentes?

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:33 am 

I'm thinking the Throne is literally the Throne of Man: Illiir's Gift to Mankind (similar to Anshar's Temples, Larissa's Labrynth, Althare's Language, etc). This chair is not simply a chair, but some super-powerful divine artifact which is also recognized as THE tool which unifies all of humanity.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next