Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HP 1-04 Borne in the Fire of Hell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 pm 

Hi there

Currently playing Born in the Fire of Hell and the players have just gotten the Fine Weapon/Armor or Shield off the king

One of my players wants to take the Milandisian Andrean Suit of Plate. This is 75gp or 750gp for a fine suit.

Reading the rule it just says "No restricted items" and as far as I can see in the campaign guide, it is not restricted.

Now I know this player (a Black Talon) wants the suit because of character not as a breaking of balance) but I know there are players out there that would take this suit and then sell it for 10% of value (75gp)

Is there an errata to the mode somewhere that I can be pointed to or it it entirely legal to take this item (and possibly sell it)

Cheers

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: HP 1-04 Borne in the Fire of Hell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 pm 

I know that it is strongly frowned on by the campaign staff, but I've heard of other players doing it. If I were GMing I would strongly dissuade the player, but I'm not aware of anything in the rules preventing it.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm 

Why would Nol Dappans have Milandisian armor in their armories? That cert should probably be updated to include just the "national" armors appropriate for Nol Dappa. Unless of course the King is willing have a new suit forged for the PC. That's my take on this.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:46 am 

It is technnically permitted. I am just waiting for a follow up mod to come out where the King finds out you took his gift and hocked it for cash. Decisions have consequences....

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:09 am 

Oh I get that it's technically permitted. And I love the idea of consequences..."Pebble Upon Still Water" anyone? :lol: Love it when that happens. :) Man I would not want to earn the ire of any Nol Dappan let alone their King. Those guys have really short fuses....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am 

mighty28 wrote:
It is technnically permitted. I am just waiting for a follow up mod to come out where the King finds out you took his gift and hocked it for cash. Decisions have consequences....

Technically - yes.

Still. I personally don't believe Nol Doppans make Andrean Plate, I think that's Milandir's thing. Just as Kio arms and armor are a Kio thing and Flintlocks are an Altherian thing. And I really don't believe even if there are a couple of sets of Andrean Plate in Nol Dappa that it is sitting around in a storeroom waiting for "human" proportioned PCs to come strap it on. <sigh>

I don't want to nickel and dime players, but knowing what I know now, (and having seen Andrean plate hawked for the gold) as a judge I would take 5 minutes to role play the King asking for player selections. "Weapons or armor?" "Melee or ranged?" "Light armor or something heavier?" Maybe with running commentary on the supposed pros and cons of each selection. "You want a side sword? Alright, I admit its a fast weapon and good for stabbing through the seams of heavy armor. Still, wouldn't you stand straighter with a proper war axe on your hip?" Leoducis could also make counteroffers to unreasonable requests ("Andrean Plate? I see you don't lack for ambition! I have a Gothic Cuirass right here. It won't slow you down the way the heaviest armor would...Would you take this instead?")

Just my two cents.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:21 am 

Actually that's a pretty good way to handle it in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:35 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Technically - yes.

Still. I personally don't believe Nol Doppans make Andrean Plate, I think that's Milandir's thing.
<snip>
I don't want to nickel and dime players, but knowing what I know now, (and having seen Andrean plate hawked for the gold) as a judge I would take 5 minutes to role play the King asking for player selections.

It's possible that the Nol Dappans can make Andrean Plate. I find that more plausible than a Kio hauberk. The Andrean plate is created from a large number of pieces and parts making up the individual plates. It is high effort with a good amount of materials involved for all the plates, straps, padding, etc. but I don't see anything unique about it once there's a suit to use as a template.

The Kio hauberk I think may use either special materials or forging techniques that represent trade secrets that aren't as plausible to pick up and replicate.

In terms of how to approach a player asking for armor I would do either or both of a couple of things.

1. Do the RP thing with the king. If the PC can convince the king (&GM) that the particular armor will be honored and well used it may be worth doing. He's wily so short of a 35 or 40+ Deceit roll they're not likely to pull a fast one on him.
2. Require that the PC can actually use the armor (i.e. have the proficiency). You can RP it such that he wants to see the character wear the armor as part of the forging process to make sure they get it right as it is a reward from the king after all.

In terms of it being permitted, I think this is a case where it was one of the first mods out and the thinking on how the option might be abused wasn't really in place yet. A lot of characters don't start with armor depending on the background and this was a way of being useful. The rewards since then I think have been more careful in how they're presented including whether they can be sold or not.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:17 pm 

Hat wrote:
The Kio hauberk I think may use either special materials or forging techniques that represent trade secrets that aren't as plausible to pick up and replicate.

This and Kio Hauberk is a restricted item.

This should be handled as mentioned above: Dwarven Enclave weapons or armors. They asked for Andrean Plate? Response should be "Does this look like Eastmarch (or any other Milandisian region) to you?"

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:32 pm 

Point to consider: When the King gives you these pretty shiny's, he took them from an armory in what is effectively a Gladiatorial Arena. While the Nol Dappan arena serves a different function to a Coryani one (less for entertainment, more as a form of worship), I'm sure there is still a demand for new and interesting sights, which would mean new and interesting weapons and armour. To that end, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nol Dappans had imported/made 'nation specific' weapons and armours to equip their fighters with. This would explain the very broad selection available.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next