Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Silence
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 am 

Encali wrote:
Hell, the Elorii didn't live long enough to make it inside.

I'm....not seeing a problem with that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am 

A couple other point of interest from the 3.5 (d20) campaign. One of the early adventures takes you to what looks to be another plane. While there you can see the the armies of a fallen valinor fighting against oblivion. And if you had some skill you could tell that they were not winning. (I believe that this adventure is part of one of PCI's currently available print products, so I'll avoid any spoilers, but there were items in that locale that indicate that the fight was against entropy/the silence.)

Second point is in regards to the silence granting psionics. In another d20 adventure PCs could acquire an "amulet" that was worn by one of the bad guys. Wearing the amulet gave you, IIRC, a feeling of being watched. But it also gave some boon which I don't entirely remember. Follow-up adventures clearly allowed you to "improve" upon the powers. It was widely assumed that the amulets were conduits of power from the silence. You scratch their backs and they scratch yours. In the end, PCs could potentially gain access to preternatural psionic abilities. So there is precedent for (what we assume to be) the silence granting preternatural psionic abilities.

As far as the silence and voiceless ones go, while VOs are certainly powerful adversaries, they tend to be effective puppet masters as well. It seems pretty safe to assume that they have their fingers in many of mankind's pies at the moment.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 am 

There are a few places in Arcanis where the word "Silence", "silent", or "quiet" has been used.

• The Mourners in Silence
  • The Citadel of Silence
  • The vision of Patriarch Felician val'Mehan: "The pillar of flame, which cast the light [on the Throne of Man in the First City], is extinguished and in its place is a dark, empty silence. Eternal and omnipresent." (p.45)
  • A prophecy from an ancient Larissan shrine in the First City: "a falcon, wounded and torn, would not stand before the deafening Quiet that was to herald the End Times." (p.25)
  • The prophecy of Ardelia to the Elorii: "there will come a reckoning when humans will be necessary to beat back the silent darkness." (p.178)

Quotes above are from the Codex Arcanis, 2nd ed. If you don't own a copy, the PDF is just $5 online.

The word silent is fairly common, though. I'm sure it's all just a coincidence. ;-)

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2