Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clarifying Force Field
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 pm 

It says that force Field covers an area and provides AR against all incoming attacks. I take that to mean all attacks from another area. Once the force field is up, can characters pass from that area to another? It says no one inside can attack out of it.

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Clarifying Force Field
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:07 pm 

justicar347 wrote:
It says that force Field covers an area and provides AR against all incoming attacks. I take that to mean all attacks from another area. Once the force field is up, can characters pass from that area to another? It says no one inside can attack out of it.

it covers an entire area like a force bubble or wall of force... anyone attack from outside the area has to deal with it..

people within the same area, they are within the force field's area and as such are not subject to the force field (but are protected by it, by attacks outside the area)

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm 

I think the question was whether the Force Field also blocks movement between Areas. If that's the case, then the general assumption is that a power only does what it says it does. A character might take a Power Stunt to expand a power. I probably wouldn't allow movement-blocking stunts, however, because it becomes too easy to "wall off" an Area from zombies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 pm 

HeridFel wrote:
I think the question was whether the Force Field also blocks movement between Areas. If that's the case, then the general assumption is that a power only does what it says it does. A character might take a Power Stunt to expand a power. I probably wouldn't allow movement-blocking stunts, however, because it becomes too easy to "wall off" an Area from zombies.

Oh I would..

I would just have zombies "push through" the force field (creepy!) by making an opposed might action skill roll against the heroes passive power value... (they can also assist each other, the more zombies.. the more they push through!!)

the force field is not 100% solid.. it "slows down" objects.. now at some point (very high ranks) the filed is virtually solid, but at that point.... they are alpha level after all....

when allowing someone to create power-stunts you don't have to tell them everything.. don't let them know about the push through.. spring it on them

it's a horror game, use the unknown against them

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
HeridFel wrote:

Oh I would..

I would just have zombies "push through" the force field (creepy!) by making an opposed might action skill roll against the heroes passive power value... (they can also assist each other, the more zombies.. the more they push through!!)

the force field is not 100% solid.. it "slows down" objects.. now at some point (very high ranks) the filed is virtually solid, but at that point.... they are alpha level after all....

when allowing someone to create power-stunts you don't have to tell them everything.. don't let them know about the push through.. spring it on them

it's a horror game, use the unknown against them

I like this idea. I'm going to go with that ruling, that you have to beat the passive value to push through.

Of course my player decided he didn't want that power once I explained the whole area coverage thing. He could not understand how that was helpful...

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 pm 

His loss

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 pm 

What's the basic intent behind Force Field? I ask because it seems safer to put one's opponents inside the field than to put oneself inside it, because "anyone within may not attack anyone outside the force field."

If attacked by a horde of zombies, intuition suggests one would be safer inside a force field. However, since they CAN attack into the field (and can mob, so they'll probably also hit and do damage), one actually just ends up trapped and unable to fight back. The better approach seems to be to put THEM inside the field, so they cannot attack you but you can "devastating attack" and kill them since such attacks make the field's AR irrelevant (due to the "automatically destroyed if you hit successfully" phenomenon). Also, since the "field remains in effect until the end of the Hero's next turn," a Hero inside the field not only remains vulnerable to attack, but is himself barred from attacking on his own turn - which seems the opposite of "safer."

Is there an example of the intended use for the force field?

Also, what is its range? How far away from him/herself can the caster place it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm 

Force Field's primary purpose is to reduce incoming ranged damage. The attack negation is a side effect.

ie: Super-Z throws a Devastating Energy Blast (Trick: Energy Burst) and rolls 30 damage. The entire Hero team is likely to take Wounds (even with armour). Throw up a Force Field and an average roll should knock it down below the Massive Damage threshold for at least a few team members. (Keep in mind that the 'minimum' AR is the Power Rank, so high ranks make it very reliable).

The Repulsion Power from Survivor's Guide is much better at keeping Zombies away (think of cleric turning and/or a 'circle of protection from zombies').

Personally, my Hero uses Force Shield and keeps a Plot Die handy to emulate if needed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

Simply put. Ar that stacks, which is very rare by itself, that also covers an area. Sure you can't use ranged attacks out but if you have 8-10 points less damage for every person in the area as a reaction it is worth it. Just imagine how grateful those bystanders being saved will be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 am 

Agreed - providing defense against superior ranged firepower is an application that fits the written Force Field parameters. Especially if the field does not block movement, since defenders then have the option of stepping out of the field to return fire if desired. Similarly, melee combatants would be largely unaffected because they can similarly just move through as needed.

Regarding moving through the Force Field, the earlier discussion about pushing through the passive value seems like a meaningful mechanic, but the question, "Does the default Force Field block movement or not?" remains unanswered.

Also, there's still the question of how far away from him/herself the caster can place it. The Force Field power does not specify a range.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next