Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Telekinetic attacks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:57 pm 

So one of my players is a psychic with the move object power. We are trying to figure out just what all he can do with it.
1. If he picks someone up and throws them, how much damage.
2. How much damage for him throwing objects at people?
3. How fine is his control? In the first game he picks up some guns with it and wanted to fire them at the badguy.

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Telekinetic attacks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:37 pm 

justicar347 wrote:
So one of my players is a psychic with the move object power. We are trying to figure out just what all he can do with it.
1. If he picks someone up and throws them, how much damage.
2. How much damage for him throwing objects at people?
3. How fine is his control? In the first game he picks up some guns with it and wanted to fire them at the bad guy.

Move Object's "strength" lays in how much passive power modifier and/or Ranks in power.

1). This is going to be a GM call (yes, I know. The cliché statement lol). Picking someone up will depend if you can do it in the first place (remember this isn't just a world of zombies, but supers as well. Nothing is as it seems ... or weighs ;) ).

2). Thrown objects will most likely have a damage equal to Move Object's Rank (since one possesses a Might attribute of the Power's Rank plus your Resolve Attribute modifier. For example lets say you have Move Object at Rank 7 and a Resolve of 5 (+3 attribute modifier), you'd have a Might value of 10 with this power). Using the example above, when you launch something at someone, a GM will likely say it impacts the target with a might of 10 (base d10 die).

3). Again here is a GM call. The higher the ranks, the higher your power's passive roll will be, the more fine his/her manipulation will be (using the example above of Move Object at Rank 7 and Resolve 5. His power's passive roll will be 22 {12 + Power's ranks: 7, + Resolve's Attribute modifier: +3}. A GM might ask you to make a roll [or just use the passive roll if high enough] to determine your Move Object's fine manipulation. The smaller or more controlling the object, the higher/more difficult the roll will be).

Hope this helps,

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 pm 

You can treat it as a power maneuver "Fastball special" as a Crash (pg 100) using the target's/person being thrown's Armor Rating or Fortitude defense as it's material strength. In which case both the target and the subject being used would take damage.

I would also say that's a power maneuver for sure, same with firing a gun with his/her TK

Remember out of box tricks like that are not easy to master, as such.. power maneuver.

add a speed cost and maybe some difficulty...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 pm 

Well, this has helped with some of my questions and created all new ones. For instance, does the player need to make a ranged skill role to pick something up or place it somewhere? What about creatures? Seems odd to make a ranged attack just to pick them up. I am thinking of treating it as targeting fortitude to affect creatures then a ranged attack for aiming.

I think I have come up with some power tricks though to fill in the blanks though.

Far Hand
Powers: Move Object
Cost: Demanding
Attack: Avoidance
Effect: You can manipulate objects as though you were using your own hands. You can pull triggers or work with fine tools. For each object beyond the first it adds +3 burnout and a die penalty to any skill checks.

Thrust
Powers: Move Object
Cost: +3 burnout
Attack: Avoidance
Effect: You may throw a creature or object hard enough to injure someone. If you throw an object it deals 1d6 damage for each area it moves plus its material strength. If you throw a creature it takes 1d6 damage for each area moved. If it is thrown into another creature, both take the damage.

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:35 am 

justicar347 wrote:
Well, this has helped with some of my questions and created all new ones. For instance, does the player need to make a ranged skill role to pick something up or place it somewhere? What about creatures? Seems odd to make a ranged attack just to pick them up. I am thinking of treating it as targeting fortitude to affect creatures then a ranged attack for aiming.

Move Object power already requires one to make an attack roll vs. the target's Avoidance (pg. 66 of the main rule book). Pending on the target, a GM may not require you to roll if your Move Object's Power Passive roll is high enough or if the target is something that there is no way you're going to miss. However, when it comes to targets such as creatures (undead or not), you're going to have to roll.

The power tricks you mentioned look interesting. You definitely caught my attention with Far Hand. Trust sounds like the descript of what happens when you throw an object or a creature, which is already mentioned in the rules and part of the nature of Move Object. Still, you're ideas look good. Suggest some of them to Pete in Rotted Capes: Rules forums under here: What Powers Would You Like to See? thread.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 am 

I would drop the additional Burnout of Thrust myself, or bring it down to +1

but looks good over all..

as far as picking up objects with TK, hand wave it.... an stationary object has an avoidance of 5, which is far below the TK's power passive value.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 am 

EddieS wrote:
justicar347 wrote:

Move Object power already requires one to make an attack roll vs. the target's Avoidance (pg. 66 of the main rule book). Pending on the target, a GM may not require you to roll if your Move Object's Power Passive roll is high enough or if the target is something that there is no way you're going to miss. However, when it comes to targets such as creatures (undead or not), you're going to have to roll.

The power tricks you mentioned look interesting. You definitely caught my attention with Far Hand. Trust sounds like the descript of what happens when you throw an object or a creature, which is already mentioned in the rules and part of the nature of Move Object. Still, you're ideas look good. Suggest some of them to Pete in Rotted Capes: Rules forums under here: What Powers Would You Like to See? thread.

Ok, that works pretty well. I just was not sure if that was what the rules were going for with Move Object. I'll just make "Thrust" my default rules for attacking with the power.

I was actually planning to make a suggestion over in the new powers forum. I want to help make future projects as good as possible.

Offline Profile