Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sensing telepathy?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure the answer I'm going to get (It's up to the Editor) but I wanted to be sure anyways. When using telepathy, is the person being "Viewed" able to detect that you're intruding on their mind?

Say one of my PCs (a telepath) wants to scan an NPC to check if they're a threat (hiding something, horrible intentions, you get the picture). Can they do this secretly while another person is talking to them, or will simply touching their mind alert them to your presence?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sensing telepathy?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

Rabid-Ginger wrote:
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure the answer I'm going to get (It's up to the Editor) but I wanted to be sure anyways. When using telepathy, is the person being "Viewed" able to detect that you're intruding on their mind?

Say one of my PCs (a telepath) wants to scan an NPC to check if they're a threat (hiding something, horrible intentions, you get the picture). Can they do this secretly while another person is talking to them, or will simply touching their mind alert them to your presence?

Thanks for the help.

In part, it is up to the Editor. However, it's more like it depends on your roll (or power's passive roll). The higher it is, or greater the roll, the less chance the "target" will be able to sense he's being tapped mentally. The Editor may not even call for a roll if the disparity between your power's Passive roll and the Target's passive perception is that significant.

Hope this helps,

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:18 pm 

I'm not so sure that I would go with Perception as the skill to use for that particular scenario. I would probably have them use a Passive resolve roll becaue resolve is most closely related to the Hero's Discipline defense (attacks on the mind).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:10 pm 

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
I'm not so sure that I would go with Perception as the skill to use for that particular scenario. I would probably have them use a Passive resolve roll becaue resolve is most closely related to the Hero's Discipline defense (attacks on the mind).

that's a good question.. I think I would call for a perception(insight) action skill roll against the telepath's passive power value.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 pm 

That seems fair

Offline Profile