Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Headshot Range
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm 

With the rules stated, a headshot can only be accomplished by firing at a target within 2 areas....

So if I had a sniper rifle with a scope (extended range; +20 max range), I can still only headshot within 2 areas of the target. The sniper with a minimum range of 90 areas can only headshot from 2 areas away... Is there an errata ruling on this? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Headshot Range
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 pm 

Hello,

I don't believe we have errata for that specific situation, but it's your game. Change whatever doesn't make sense or that will create a better experience for you and your players. I can't emphasize this rule enough.

Best,

Henry Lopez

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 pm 

Extended Range doesn't add to the range you can attack at (as written). It removes range penalties from the specified number of Areas (but also adds a Minimum Range with double penalties).

A sniper rifle firing Assault ammunition has no range penalty between 5 and 20 areas. Double penalty under 5 areas and normal -1 per Area over 20 areas. Adding a Tactical Sniper Scope, RAW, doesn't change the 20 Areas; but intent is certainly to add another 20 Areas (making no range penalty between 5 and 40 Areas).
As an aside, having Hawkeye Advantage removes the minimum as well (with a minimum of Insight 4).

I have an (untested) suggestion that indirectly works.

Change to the Extended Range (R) Quality on pg.75
Add: This quality also replaces the specified range of all Firing Modes which have one (see pg.93-94). ie: Headshots can only be made that have no range penalty due to this Quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:29 pm 

I had generally assumed that the range limits were built into Devastating Attack and Headshot more to keep it from being too easy to perform auto-kill attacks on common zombies from excessive range rather than for any other special reason.

Per PCIHenry's suggestion, the EIC can (of course) override that as desired. Having it written into the rules just makes it harder to exploit range by default (e.g. 10-year old killing hordes of zombies by throwing rocks at them from a rooftop with Devastating Attack maneuvers).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm 

I think that's what the penalty to hit is for. A ten year old probably doesn't have a high Prowess. I'll probably just make the range for Headshot per weapon being used

Offline Profile