Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celerity and double-attack stacking
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:13 pm 

So, the Celerity power allows one character to make a double-attack, in that a 4-tick basic attack "complex" action can be compressed into a 2-tick "simple" action, thereby permitting another complex or demanding action to be performed afterward.

How do these attacks affect the target? I assume the default is that they impact the target as separate attacks (so, both are reduced by AR, and they do not stack for determining massive damage).

If the character wants the two attacks to impact the target as a single attack (like a Team Attack), how is that accomplished? I can envision different ways of getting it done:

A. The EIC may just declare that the two attacks can be combined as one. (So, freebie.)
B. The EIC might require the character's second attack to be declared as a "Team Attack" maneuver, and then allow the two to stack like any other team attack.
C. The EIC might require a plot die, possibly in addition to (B), above.
D. The EIC might just declare it's overpowered and can't be done.

I'm curious how you guys handle this and how it works for you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Celerity and double-attack stacking
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:14 pm 

Rotten Capering wrote:
How do these attacks affect the target? I assume the default is that they impact the target as separate attacks (so, both are reduced by AR, and they do not stack for determining massive damage).

As you stated above, Celerity drops the speed cost by one category (ex: a Complex Action becomes a Simple Action) which can permit two separate attacks - one as a Simple and the standard Complex one.

Rotten Capering wrote:
If the character wants the two attacks to impact the target as a single attack (like a Team Attack), how is that accomplished? I can envision different ways of getting it done:

A. The EIC may just declare that the two attacks can be combined as one. (So, freebie.)
B. The EIC might require the character's second attack to be declared as a "Team Attack" maneuver, and then allow the two to stack like any other team attack.
C. The EIC might require a plot die, possibly in addition to (B), above.
D. The EIC might just declare it's overpowered and can't be done.

I'm curious how you guys handle this and how it works for you.

One cannot "team attack" from their own attacks. According to the rules - "...this maneuver must be performed 1 tick after or during the same tick as an ally’s successful attack." (pg. 92, Rotted Capes main book).

However, RC is known for their flexibility. If the EIC (and only they choose so) allows a player to spend a plot die in order to do option C, that is up their discretion. But normally it not permitted due to how Team Attack is worded.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Celerity and double-attack stacking
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:02 am 

You can't Team Attack with yourself.

The Celerity combination is good in three situations:
1. Clearing out deadhead zombies with pistols
2. Taking out a non-Z (ie, something with Stamina)
3. Your attack does lots of damage and may cause Massive Damage on its own (dumpster melee attack, *really big* SH guns etc)

I've done all 3 on occasion.

Based on Pedro's recent contribution, there is now a 4th use: giving your allies *two* successful attacks to choose from when performing a Team Attack. If your first damage roll is really poor (ie: a couple of Stamina), then using Celerity for a 'second go' is useful to get that result higher.

Offline Profile