Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: d12 weapons?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:44 am 

What are some examples of d12 weapons? The only example on the table is "Chainsaw (running)" and it feels like there's a gulf here.

Is the d12 slot where things like polearms and claymores and battle axes would be?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: d12 weapons?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 pm 

Definitely the large battle axes as well as the large war hammers (Tralian Hammer anyone? :lol:)

Not sure if I'd categorize polearms in the d12 dam range. Seem more a typical d8 damage with added abilities (can attack adj. area, die bump vs. mounted targets, etc, etc, etc).

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm 

I guess I was thinking of the polearms as smaller versions of "Light Pole, Any item that weighs 100-900 lbs." Basically a smaller light pole (i.e. staff of some kind) with possibly various attachments on one or both ends (spikes, axe heads, blades, etc). Like a battle axe or heavy mace with an extra-long handle for better leverage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:04 pm 

What pole arms do you know that are "light" version of 900 lbs poles? :o :lol:

Polearms tend to weigh between 15 - 50 lbs, average around 25 lbs or so.

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm 

Exactly. I'm thinking that a 15-50 lb polearm is a bigger weapon than a katana or fireaxe (d10), but is lighter than a 100lb light pole (2d8). So I figured that a 7-15 foot-long staff of 15-50 lbs was a "smaller" version of the 100 lb light pole, and might therefore fall in the damage category that's between katana/fireaxe and lightpole. That was my thinking, anyway. Curious if there's a sanctioned list of weapons that fall in the d12 category.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm 

Polearms weren't exactly know to cleave through targets like a Nodachi or other similar weapons. Their weight came from the added length to the weapon attached at the end. Their effectiveness was due to their length and use vs. mounted targets.

Alas, in your campaign, you decide what they can and cannot do.

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:54 pm 

Melee weapon descriptions are really just flavour.

Pick a weapon die, add flavour, slay your enemies. The only proviso (on the table) is that d10 or larger are two-handed weapons for a Medium Hero.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm 

Not my game, I'm afraid. I'm just a player.

I can't speak to the Nodachi thing. I was just thinking that the only differences between a quarterstaff and a telephone pole are size and mass, and so I figured that if a big enough quarterstaff (i.e. telephone pole) does 2d8 damage, then a smaller one might do d12. I'm trying to figure out how big/small the staff has to be to be d12 instead of d10 or 2d8. I assumed that subsequently attaching metal things to one end of that d12 staff wouldn't change it from being d12.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

Rotten Capering wrote:
... I was just thinking that the only differences between a quarterstaff and a telephone pole are size and mass ...

We're talking about a serious difference in mass & size here. Quarterstaves are the lightest of the Polearms. Were it not for its length, it could easily be wielded one-handed. Even in other game systems, Quarterstaves tend to have lower damage ratings, but it is augmented with quicker speeds and advantage of length/reach. Since they weight about 3 - 15 lbs, I don't see Quarterstaves being one damage category below of a telephone pole (telephone poles have an average weight of about 700lbs, in RC one would have to have a minumum of M:10 just to wield one). Quarterstaves, at minimum should roughly do d6, d8 if the GM is being very-abstract.

But then again, that's just my 2 pieces of rations.

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 pm 

Agreed, telephone poles are big and heavy and can only be wielded with superhuman strength, which is why they do 2d8 or 3d8.

Let me rephrase the question. Sticks of different sizes do different amounts of damage. On the smaller, normal-human end, we have bats and police batons in the d8 category. On the larger, super-human end we have telephone poles that do 2d8 or 3d8 depending on mass.

So my question is: For the stick that does d12 damage, how big is it and what does it weigh? We know it has to weigh less than 100 lbs (else it does 2d8). So what kind of stick is the d12 stick? A fencepost? What? Can it be made out of wood or does it have to be metal or something?

The mission, should anyone choose to accept it, is to design a d12 stick-like weapon. What would it be like? What would it require in a wielder?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next