Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hit Location
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:34 pm 

New GM here. I'm getting ready to run a game a week from now.

I've read all of the rules, but there's one thing I'm a little unclear on: Hit location. Why would it matter? Well, there are two ways to avoid infection: Burning and amputation. How do I fairly determine where my PCs have been bitten? If it's always conveniently an arm or leg, then they always have an opportunity to save again if burning doesn't work. If it's always the chest, then they only have one opportunity. This is especially important if one of the PCs has regeneration, as he could effectively avoid infection indefinitely.

I have hit location dice and tables I could use, I'm just wondering if this ever came up during playtesting and how it was handled.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hit Location
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:33 pm 

What kind of tone are you shooting for? How often do you want PC heros to become zombie-fied? Do you care if it's a baseline deadhead or a Z'd Superhero?

I think amputation is a terrible fate in and of itself (even with regeneration) so I personally I think I'd always hit a limb rather than the neck or chest unless I wanted to raise the stakes from an ambush or a boss fight.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
What kind of tone are you shooting for? How often do you want PC heros to become zombie-fied? Do you care if it's a baseline deadhead or a Z'd Superhero?

I think amputation is a terrible fate in and of itself (even with regeneration) so I personally I think I'd always hit a limb rather than the neck or chest unless I wanted to raise the stakes from an ambush or a boss fight.

I'll probably lean toward gritty. But simply declaring that it's always a limb (or not) seemed like a GM copout to me. I was looking to randomize it. And again, if someone takes regeneration, then losing a limb is a temporary inconvenience. Otherwise, yeah, it would suck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:50 pm 

If the Hero is using physical armour, most of them heavily protct the torso, so limb hits are much more likely. Also, as the Z are trying to bite, limbs are easier to dig teeth into.

Armour Power would have a similar bias due to acessibility of getting purchase to bite.

Try this (modifed) table. Original is based upon medical burns table %.

1-19 Left Leg
20-38 Right Leg
39-55 Torso
56-75 Left Arm
76-95 Right Arm
96-100 Head

Original Chart reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn
Head and neck 9%
Torso 36%
Genitals 1%
Upper limbs 9%/ea
Lower Limbs 18%/Ea