Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions centered on energy manipulation
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:12 am 

The first parts of the power seem easy enough. However when we get down to the part where it talks about making a catapult I think I start over thinking this. I assume when it says catapult it does not literally need to be a catapult just some kind of large object that is a weapon, so it could be a cannon or balista.
Now the question does it hurl the appropriate energy or is it a construct made of that energy that hurls other things, such a chunks of concrete that may be laying around or heroes.
Second the power's duration is scene. Does that mean the catapult stays in existence for the scene and can be repeatedly used, or because it is an attack power it would need to have its burn out paid every action like an animated construct?

The other part I had a question about was synergy. It has synergy with creating energy and they are treated as one power for advancement. The - 1 from synergy and the +1 from linked explicitly stack. Doesn't that mean you just link them and have 2 powers for one advancement cost? Or is it that because they are treated as a single power they can't be linked to each other?

Finally concerning those powers being used together. I don't see a way to use energy generation to provide the energy for manipulation. Is this intentional? I'd see them going hand in hand even if at a higher cost such as beastial transformation and enlarge. Or is it trying to avoid the fight over the conflicting durations. Your manipulation of the energy lasts for the scene but if the source vanishes during that time does the part you were working with keep it cohesion and continue to exist?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Questions centered on energy manipulation
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:42 pm 

1. The damage type would vary by negotiation with your Editor-in-chief. Using the 'catapult' in combat would act as the real weapon; but using your Power Die (Re) for damage. (see Light Master on Pg.180 for an example).

2. With duration 'Scene', you only pay the Burnout once to create it. However once you factor in that you still need to wield/load/fire the creation as a normal device it can be less efficient than taking Energy Blast or spending a plot die to Emulate Energy Blast. Creativity and negotiation with your Editor is key.

3. Took me a while to work Synergy out as well. The wording is weird. I just interpreted it as +1/-1.
Step 1. Create character as normal (including Linked mod where wanted)
Step 2. *after* creation, apply the Synergy modification.
Step 3. You now take all the Synergy powers up by paying the highest Power's cost. This makes it very XP efficient to increase after character creation. Since Synergy is mandatory, you may as well take the Linked Flaw as well.

There are times (esp at low ranks) where Linked might not be the best Flaw to choose due to the limited number of 'flaw points' available (NB: 1 modification per bought Rank at creation).

4. The burnout of Energy Generation is only if you use it to attack (Range 0, area). This is why it has the 'synergy' special; it feeds other powers (and has a very nice Exploit list).
Note that Energy Blast specifically creates its own energy, while Energy Manipulation doesn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 am 

archangel wrote:
Finally concerning those powers being used together. I don't see a way to use energy generation to provide the energy for manipulation. Is this intentional?

It is, you would need to develop a (very simple) power trick...

Remember Iceman of X-Man fame was able to cover himself in ice and throw snowballs... later he was able to manipulate and shape the ice he produced.

Now your E.i.C. can always hade wave it or require the powers to be linked. (I use the linked hand wave when I run my home games)

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:00 am 

Question on the difference between "items" and "constructs."

Is the distinction between "item" and "construct" something the hero must decide when the thing is first created? Or is it a fluid definition that can switch back and forth depending on whether or not the hero is currently animating the object?

For instance, I can envision a hero with Element/Energy Manipulation initially creating a wall as an "item." Initially the wall might be passive, but perhaps 10-ticks into a fight, the hero wants to make the wall reach out and attack a nearby enemy.

Ignoring using plot dice to bend rules for the moment, I can see this working two ways:

1. EIC: "Sorry, you can't do that. If you wanted that capability, you should have said you were creating a construct instead of an item when you first made it."
2. EIC: "Sure thing. Just spend the burnout and a simple action and you're good to go!"

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am 

Rotten Capering wrote:
Question on the difference between "items" and "constructs."

Is the distinction between "item" and "construct" something the hero must decide when the thing is first created? Or is it a fluid definition that can switch back and forth depending on whether or not the hero is currently animating the object?

For instance, I can envision a hero with Element/Energy Manipulation initially creating a wall as an "item." Initially the wall might be passive, but perhaps 10-ticks into a fight, the hero wants to make the wall reach out and attack a nearby enemy.

Ignoring using plot dice to bend rules for the moment, I can see this working two ways:

1. EIC: "Sorry, you can't do that. If you wanted that capability, you should have said you were creating a construct instead of an item when you first made it."
2. EIC: "Sure thing. Just spend the burnout and a simple action and you're good to go!"

Thoughts?

I'd go option 1, since it is a bit exploitive to go option 2. Items deal damage when destroyed, but it doesn't look like constructs do. This could be exploited by a player creating it as an item, in case it is destroyed before their next action, and then they will decide it is now a construct to start making attacks on their turn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:52 pm 

archangel wrote:
I'd go option 1, since it is a bit exploitive to go option 2. Items deal damage when destroyed, but it doesn't look like constructs do. This could be exploited by a player creating it as an item, in case it is destroyed before their next action, and then they will decide it is now a construct to start making attacks on their turn.

I kind of felt like the "item" and "construct" words were kind of used interchangably in the wording of the power, such that "constructs" are basically just "items" that got animated. For instance, "Items created with this power can be animated (such as forming a construct to fight for you) but doing so..." Because of that, I get the impression that both unanimated items ("items") and animated items ("constructs") explode when they are destroyed.

Basically, I was thinking that if you can manipulate fire, then it would make sense that you can make a wall of fire that just sits there. But then if you have a wall of fire that's just sitting there and you have the ability to manipulate fire, it would also make sense that you can spend burnout and make the wall of fire do something just like you could with a regular fire that's just sitting there.

Obviously not everybody read it that way, so I'm glad I asked. Thanks for chiming in. Are there other views out there? *gaze out at the crowd*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:07 am 

Question: How does the Synergy Special work?
Answer: After Hero creation is completed, apply
Synergy to all relevant Powers and adjust the final
Power Rank. It must still have a final Rank of 1 or
more. It does not apply against your Power
Modification limit of 1 per purchased Rank at
character creation (as it is mandatory). You do
not gain the benefits of the Linked Flaw unless
Linked to a non-Synergy Power.

From the FAQ

Offline Profile