Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bestial Transformation, dbl'd up adv, & Cont. Powers ...
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 am 

I couldn't find any clarity regarding the following -

The Power Bestial Transformation states: "You retain your Advantages, Defenses, and Stamina, but replace your (Mi) and (Qu) die with that of the animal, and gain the animal's Advantages, Attacks, Traits, and Pace." (pg. 55 of the main rule book, first paragraph, second sentence).

A) If you have an advantage and the animal form grants you the same advantage, since the power states you keep both the Hero's advantages and that of the animal's, do they double up/stack? Example: Lets say a Hero has the advantage Toughness and the animal he/she transforms into also has the Toughness advantage, do they stack? If yes, how does that affect advantages that work once per scene (like Diehard)?

B) Does one still retain their Continuous powers while in Beast form? Example: Lets say the same Hero has Enhanced Attribute (Mi) 5 and Bestial Transformation 5 as inborn powers (note: Enh. Attr (Mi) is an inborn power, not an emulated one). Does the Hero still retain the +4 to (Mi) once transformed into an animal?

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bestial Transformation, dbl'd up adv, & Cont. Powers ...
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 am 

First question has a concrete answer:

On page 36, under Skills Ranks and Bonus Stacking:

"Bonuses from the same sources don't stack. You always use the best bonus that's appropriate for the circumstance. For example, let's say you have two Advantages that give bonuses to stealth..."

It then provides an example where you end up taking the highest advantage.

The second question... hmm. I think that's really up to you as a GM. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use the power, personally. I would say if a person only wanted super might when they were a large animal, then they would be able to take a limitation on the enhance attribute to reflect this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:09 pm 

EddieS wrote:
B) Does one still retain their Continuous powers while in Beast form? Example: Lets say the same Hero has Enhanced Attribute (Mi) 5 and Bestial Transformation 5 as inborn powers (note: Enh. Attr (Mi) is an inborn power, not an emulated one). Does the Hero still retain the +4 to (Mi) once transformed into an animal?

100% a GM call

personally I would let you use your power in Bestial form as a power stunt

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:24 pm 

Not to contradict Statmonkey in the slightest (the wise and benevolent creator knows all, haha!) but I had a similar question come from a player of mine earlier in the semester, and I worked it out with them like this:

Normal powers that required burnout could only be used via the expenditure of a plot die (as statmonkey offered up above) but continuous powers like armor, enhanced attribute etc still carried over BUT were limited by your ranks in bestial transformation, ie, if Beast Trans was at five ranks, no matter how high your ranks in armor were your armor was only treated as rank five while in beastial form. The expenditure of a plot die, as with normal powers, could of course negate this limitation, but it seemed a healthy compromise for us that kept it interesting and didn't limit her too hard.

Offline Profile