Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Element/Energy Blast...with a touch Limitation?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:30 pm 

So, I've recently recruited a new player and he took to the system immedietely, made a monk-esque skill hero with a unique device staff that can deal electrical energy damage through enhanced attack, all par for the course. We get the character all squared away, skills and advantages all are where he wants 'em, attributes are balanced and fit backstory, powers are mostly done with just a few points, and...he didn't take the ranged skill. Frick-Bugger.

Not wanting to stand in the way of this nearly completed chacter, I think quickly and say that the limitation flaw could help us, it just has to be delivered by touch of the staff instead of an aimed blast, but I feel I might have to use other modifiers to make this fair and balanced, especially in terms of damage.

Obviously the power die doesn't need to change, but quickness die no longer makes sense mechanically. Should this just be swapped for Might, or is there another option that I'm missing?

Thanks for the input!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Element/Energy Blast...with a touch Limitation?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:46 pm 

Might seems like the best choice because I assume it's not going to be a gentle tap with the staff to deliver the shock.

Instead of having him do an Element/Blast power, you might just have him use the Enhanced Weapon power (it's in the Enhanced Attack power). You might consider having them take the Removable Item flaw at -1 and then also take the secondary effect Perk at 1 to also stun the target after they are hit because of shocking. Not only that, but with Enhanced Weapon, you can opt for the damage to be a different type so instead of melee damage it could deal energy damage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 am 

The staff actually already has enhanced attack with the electricity, sorry, forgotten to state that explicitly. He'd wanted the burst/blast option in order to increase his options and utilize his burnout in the staff, but the lack of ranged skill made such things impractical, once we'd completed everything.

Might seems like the best compromise, you're right. I can work that into his damage output somehow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:03 pm 

TheMindfulFool wrote:
Might seems like the best choice because I assume it's not going to be a gentle tap with the staff to deliver the shock.

Instead of having him do an Element/Blast power, you might just have him use the Enhanced Weapon power (it's in the Enhanced Attack power). You might consider having them take the Removable Item flaw at -1 and then also take the secondary effect Perk at 1 to also stun the target after they are hit because of shocking. Not only that, but with Enhanced Weapon, you can opt for the damage to be a different type so instead of melee damage it could deal energy damage.

times I wish this message board had a LIKE button!

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile