Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Calculating Damage with Move Object
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:50 pm 

Hey guys, dealing with a bit of a problem and I'd love your thoughts.

One of my players is using a controller at the moment and is quite creative with her powers (using a power trick to make her force field into a "plow" on the front of a truck, using mental detection to overcome blindfighting, etc,) which has become a problem in only one area: Calculating damage.

See, when she just uses move object to throw some bad boy, I can calculate the damage for that just fine using the falling damage table listed in the book and adding a little bit to reflect being "thrown" into the wall instead of just falling, but she's begun using her powers to slam enemies into the ground just after picking them up or even using her Move Object to "press" an enemy into the ground, dealing damage that way.

I want to scale her damage so she's not OP compared to the other players, and I want damage to be based on her power ranks so she can level up her damage, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to do it.

Can you come up with any ideas to help an Editor out? Thanks so much!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Calculating Damage with Move Object
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:35 am 

Rabid-Ginger wrote:
Hey guys, dealing with a bit of a problem and I'd love your thoughts.

One of my players is using a controller at the moment and is quite creative with her powers (using a power trick to make her force field into a "plow" on the front of a truck, using mental detection to overcome blindfighting, etc,) which has become a problem in only one area: Calculating damage.

Very cool! I purposely designed the system so players CAN do just what your controller is doing..

Bravo

Rabid-Ginger wrote:
See, when she just uses move object to throw some bad boy, I can calculate the damage for that just fine using the falling damage table listed in the book and adding a little bit to reflect being "thrown" into the wall instead of just falling, but she's begun using her powers to slam enemies into the ground just after picking them up or even using her Move Object to "press" an enemy into the ground, dealing damage that way.

I want to scale her damage so she's not OP compared to the other players, and I want damage to be based on her power ranks so she can level up her damage, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to do it.

Can you come up with any ideas to help an Editor out? Thanks so much!

Always willing to help!

I would just work the damage based of the ranks of their ability + their primary attribute

For example let’s say your players move object is at 10 ranks and a Resolve of 6

They would deal d10 (d8) damage.

That’s slamming them down, not holding them in place. For that, your hero would have to emulate or get the Entangle power. Else the person they slammed down could just get up on their turn.

If they possess Entangle it sounds like a new power stunt to me.... slam them down and entangle them… (I would call it “Hold Still” or “Stay Down”) but it would have to be maintained and maybe even have some additional burnout equal to the difference between their move object power rank vs their opponent's might or opposed power rank (someone else with move object for example)

once held down they can simply deal damage with no to hit needed.. just slowly crush them...

hope that helps!!!!!

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 pm 

Whoa, completely neglected a reply to this, so sorry! StatMonkey, as always, thanks so much for the reply!

Quote:
Very cool! I purposely designed the system so players CAN do just what your controller is doing..

Bravo

I agree, I'm super happy with what she's done with her character, it's a blast working with/against her abilities and setting out the flavor of the campaign.

Quote:
I would just work the damage based of the ranks of their ability + their primary attribute

For example let’s say your players move object is at 10 ranks and a Resolve of 6

They would deal d10 (d8) damage.

Friggin' brilliant, that'll work perfectly. I'm almost upset with myself that I didn't just go with this from the get go. I'd also rule that this is a demanding action (picking them up would be the standard complex action, but picking them up a few feet then intentionally slamming them down makes it a complex), would you agree?

Quote:
That’s slamming them down, not holding them in place. For that, your hero would have to emulate or get the Entangle power. Else the person they slammed down could just get up on their turn.

If they possess Entangle it sounds like a new power stunt to me.... slam them down and entangle them… (I would call it “Hold Still” or “Stay Down”) but it would have to be maintained and maybe even have some additional burnout equal to the difference between their move object power rank vs their opponent's might or opposed power rank (someone else with move object for example)

once held down they can simply deal damage with no to hit needed.. just slowly crush them...

Hmm, gotcha gotcha. Sounds like just a normal grapple from book two with the Punish move being applied (pg. 92) with the automatic hit and all that Jazz. If it's a power trick from entangle...How does this write up look?

POWER TRICK: Crush
Powers: Move Object, Entangle
Cost: +Complex, +2 Burnout
Effect: After successfully pinning an opponent with Entangle, you may opt to use this power trick as a variant of your "Move Object" power, where instead of applying force to move a person/item around, you apply force directly on top of them, effectively crushing them into the ground. As they are already ensnared in your Entangle, this attack is automatically successful (as per the punish move in the grapple section on pg. 92) until they break free of your entanglement, and deals damage based on your move object power die and your resolve die.

As always, thanks for your help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:03 am 

Rabid-Ginger wrote:
Whoa, completely neglected a reply to this, so sorry! StatMonkey, as always, thanks so much for the reply!

we all have lives... :P

Rabid-Ginger wrote:

Friggin' brilliant, that'll work perfectly. I'm almost upset with myself that I didn't just go with this from the get go. I'd also rule that this is a demanding action (picking them up would be the standard complex action, but picking them up a few feet then intentionally slamming them down makes it a complex), would you agree?

A complex action works if they pick it up and throw it...

but the player could always work on a power maneuver to speed it up...

Rabid-Ginger wrote:
Hmm, gotcha gotcha. Sounds like just a normal grapple from book two with the Punish move being applied (pg. 92) with the automatic hit and all that Jazz. If it's a power trick from entangle...How does this write up look?

POWER TRICK: Crush
Powers: Move Object, Entangle
Cost: +Complex, +2 Burnout
Effect: After successfully pinning an opponent with Entangle, you may opt to use this power trick as a variant of your "Move Object" power, where instead of applying force to move a person/item around, you apply force directly on top of them, effectively crushing them into the ground. As they are already ensnared in your Entangle, this attack is automatically successful (as per the punish move in the grapple section on pg. 92) until they break free of your entanglement, and deals damage based on your move object power die and your resolve die.

As always, thanks for your help!

Looks like a solid maneuver to me!!

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:39 pm 

Awesome, thank you again!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 am 

Rabid-Ginger wrote: