Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Telekinetic Attacks 2
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:31 am 

So, a few things here.
I'm going to throw a few scenarios at you guys. My GM has made rulings on some things involving the Move Object power and I want to know if everyone else agrees with the ruling. My current character has his Move Object rank at 10 with his resolve respectively at 15. His effective "Might" score with this ability is at 16, allowing him to lift a maximum of 6 tons.

1) I state that with my character, I would like to split up my "effective might score", as the power states, and pick up as many zombies as I can within my range (4 areas). The GM states that in order to do this, I would have to first roll a Perception skill action roll to determine if I have the focus/awareness to pick up more than 5 zombies at a time. I begrudgingly accepted this ruling and played the rest of the night using this Perception skill roll.

Is this a sound ruling? I feel as though it is severely limiting the base foundation for the power itself.
Analogy: Like telling someone with super speed that, "It is indeed possible for you to run at Mach 1, but you would risk slamming into walls all of the time because your brain can't process everything fast enough to keep up with your body", and then make the player roll a perception action roll every time he runs faster than 60 miles per hour to try and avoid obstacles instead of running safely at will using the power itself.

See what I'm getting at? I asked him if I could simply make a power action roll (more Zs = higher TN) to see if I could pick up more zombies and it was turned down.

2) Of I wanted to throw and object at someone using telekinesis, what would the action roll be like? The "to-hit" roll if you will.

3) Of I wanted to throw a Super Z or a living super backwards (in this case 10 areas) how would damage work out in this scenario? Would it be as though knock back was used? How much damage would the opponent take and what effects might take place?

4) If I want to throw a zombie into the air (at an angle) so it does not land on top of me, how would I calculate the horizontal areas and vertical areas of movement?

Any help you have on these points would be a godsend! Please don't reply with the cliché, "It's up to the gm". I would like it if you all would come up with a way for these to work, unless you agree with my GMs rullings. Thank you for your time! :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Telekinetic Attacks 2
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:02 pm 

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
So, a few things here.
I'm going to throw a few scenarios at you guys. My GM has made rulings on some things involving the Move Object power and I want to know if everyone else agrees with the ruling. My current character has his Move Object rank at 10 with his resolve respectively at 15. His effective "Might" score with this ability is at 16, allowing him to lift a maximum of 6 tons.

1) I state that with my character, I would like to split up my "effective might score", as the power states, and pick up as many zombies as I can within my range (4 areas). The GM states that in order to do this, I would have to first roll a Perception skill action roll to determine if I have the focus/awareness to pick up more than 5 zombies at a time. I begrudgingly accepted this ruling and played the rest of the night using this Perception skill roll.

Is this a sound ruling? I feel as though it is severely limiting the base foundation for the power itself.
Analogy: Like telling someone with super speed that, "It is indeed possible for you to run at Mach 1, but you would risk slamming into walls all of the time because your brain can't process everything fast enough to keep up with your body", and then make the player roll a perception action roll every time he runs faster than 60 miles per hour to try and avoid obstacles instead of running safely at will using the power itself.

I can see where he is coming from, its like attempting to catch two kids, one with each had, at the same time. as a parent I can tell you that its not easy.. I catch one kid and then I catch the others.

I, personally, would have made you preform a power check as its a measure of your mastery over your own power.

now maybe the zombies were behind cover or around a corner.. in which case, perception seems like a good choice.

but what it really sounds like a power maneuver

I would limit the number of opponents (not objects, opponents) you can pick up to your powers passive bonus, and make you attempt an attack against each one in turn, as a demanding action, with some additional burnout (+1 per target beyond the 1st maybe)

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
2) Of I wanted to throw and object at someone using telekinesis, what would the action roll be like? The "to-hit" roll if you will.

it would be a power action roll to attack the target's avoidance.. you can only throw one object at a tome.

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
3) Of I wanted to throw a Super Z or a living super backwards (in this case 10 areas) how would damage work out in this scenario? Would it be as though knock back was used? How much damage would the opponent take and what effects might take place?

Attack roll to grab & another to throw them at the object (you can always miss) they would suffer damage as of you hit them with the object in question at your powers might rank.

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
4) If I want to throw a zombie into the air (at an angle) so it does not land on top of me, how would I calculate the horizontal areas and vertical areas of movement?

shortest line between both points... you are moving the object/zombie in a line away from you.

now... it IS your GM's game and they have all the right to make a ruling...

BUT thats my own insight... read power maneuvers, I think that's what you want to work toward.. mastering a power and being able to use it.. especially something as flexible as a "TK" based character.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:08 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

Quote:
I can see where he is coming from, its like attempting to catch two kids, one with each had, at the same time. as a parent I can tell you that its not easy.. I catch one kid and then I catch the others.

I, personally, would have made you preform a power check as its a measure of your mastery over your own power.

now maybe the zombies were behind cover or around a corner.. in which case, perception seems like a good choice.

I would limit the number of opponents (not objects, opponents) you can pick up to your powers passive bonus, and make you attempt an attack against each one in turn, as a demanding action, with some additional burnout (+1 per target beyond the 1st maybe)

BUT thats my own insight... read power maneuvers, I think that's what you want to work toward.. mastering a power and being able to use it.. especially something as flexible as a "TK" based character.

I would normally agree with you but the powers description in the book very specifically states, "You may lift an amount of weight as if you possessed a Might equal to your ranks in this power plus your passive resolve modifier, and manipulate MULTIPLE OBJECTS at once by splitting up this effective might score."

That is a very basic and fundamental aspect of the power. It just simply states that I can move multiple things according to my ranks + passive resolve mod. I really just DON'T see the need for a whole seperate roll. IF I am trying this on a live/undead being, I DO think that there would be some sort of bonus to their avoidance due to my trying to move multiple MOVING objects. I also strongly agree with the Perception skill roll for zombies that are either concealed or behind corners. Other than that, it's just as you said, "I, personally, would have made you preform a power check as its a measure of your mastery over your own power."

For the second point, If I can move multiple objects at the same time, what is stopping me from throwing them all at once?

I agree completly with the 3rd point :)

As far as the fourth point goes, how would this translate to a number of areas? I ask this because the number of areas something is thrown will be used to calculate damage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:07 pm 

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

Quote:

I would normally agree with you but the powers description in the book very specifically states, "You may lift an amount of weight as if you possessed a Might equal to your ranks in this power plus your passive resolve modifier, and manipulate MULTIPLE OBJECTS at once by splitting up this effective might score."

That is a very basic and fundamental aspect of the power. It just simply states that I can move multiple things according to my ranks + passive resolve mod. I really just DON'T see the need for a whole seperate roll. IF I am trying this on a live/undead being, I DO think that there would be some sort of bonus to their avoidance due to my trying to move multiple MOVING objects. I also strongly agree with the Perception skill roll for zombies that are either concealed or behind corners. Other than that, it's just as you said, "I, personally, would have made you preform a power check as its a measure of your mastery over your own power."

For the second point, If I can move multiple objects at the same time, what is stopping me from throwing them all at once?

I agree completly with the 3rd point :)

As far as the fourth point goes, how would this translate to a number of areas? I ask this because the number of areas something is thrown will be used to calculate damage.

1) Objects.. zombies are not Objects

2) throwing any object is an throwing attack.. just like a strong guy throwing a car... an attack is a simple action... multiple attacks fall under maneuvers... that's why power exploits are in the game.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:21 pm 

1) Other than movement, what is the difference between a Zombie/Super and an object?

2) Fair enough :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:35 pm 

Hello,

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
1) Other than movement, what is the difference between a Zombie/Super and an object?

An object is an inanimate object, while a Zombie is at the very least squirming or, in the case of Super-Zombies, actively resisting you.

And for what it's worth, I agree with your GM. I would have made the same call.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 pm 

Well that settles it then! Thanks to the both of you for weighing in on this topic. It was SOOOOOO helpful!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 pm 

Hello,

Girl Scout Wookie wrote:
Well that settles it then! Thanks to the both of you for weighing in on this topic. It was SOOOOOO helpful!

Our pleasure, I'm sure.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile