Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spinbearing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm 

Hi all new to the rules and the site wondered if someone could give me a hand putting together this character.

SPINBEARING

Jake Chambers was many things, he started life as an orphan left on the steps of an orphanage run by nuns, then he was a petty thief before breaking into the big time as a master of his thieving trade before becoming a guilt ridden hero.

Jake grew up not wanted by anyone but the nuns, while at the orphanage he had no friends and none of the perspective families chose him for adoption. He became self sufficient early on in his life only showing concern for the nuns that had raised him. He was athletic had good grades and was bright but there was something about his confident manner that put people off him. He could usually be found in a dark corner of the playground throwing marbles into an old tin can with great accuracy.

By the time he was 14 he had taught himself how to open every lock in the orphanage and spent many night sitting in the office reading the files on the other residents, for no other reason other than he could do it. One night he found a letter to the mother superior telling her the bank was foreclosing on the orphanage because of unpaid bills. Realising that he could loss his home and the people he loved Jake decided to get the money for the nuns.
To Jake this was straight forward, he would steel it from the very people the orphanage owed it to. A couple of nights later Jake was quietly putting jewels and antiques in a bag while wondering round the home of the manager of the local HSBC bank. The following morning the nuns found a bag of money sitting on the alter with a note say that it was a donation from an ex resident who had heard of their plight and wanted to help.

Jake realised at that moment he loved breaking into places and steeling things it gave him a great buzz. He was soon steeling things only to put them back a few days later if only to test his abilities.

At the age of 18 he was classed as an adult and the orphanage gave up guardianship of him. Now out in the real world Jake quickly started to set himself up in a posh apartment with all the trappings his ill gotten gains could buy him. Each month he would still leave a bag on the orphanage alter to help the nuns keep the place running.

Soon Jake set himself up in business doing jobs for other people. Although not a modern day robin hood by any means (the money he earned he kept) he did have some morals and would not take a job that involved someone or an organisation that could not afford to be robbed.

One job lead him to break into a lab to find some data for a rival company. Unknown to him the lab belonged to an underworld organisation. There must have been a mole in his client's company because it all went to hell in a hand basket very quickly and Jake was soon pinned down in one of the lab vaults with no way out.
Now for the first time in his life Jake was scared, he needed to get out and quick next thing he knew he was bent over throwing up in the grounds of the orphanage. How he got there he wasn't certain all he could remember was the blurred vision of buildings zipping past him.
Not sure what had happened but glad he’d got away the following night he entered the offices of his client and found information about the mole. He left this evidence on the pillow of the man who had hired him and five days later read that a body had been washed up on a slip on the south bank of the Themes. Jake later found out it was the man who had shopped him.

It wasn’t long before another incident happened, he was crossing the road not looking what was going on around him and walked straight into the path of an oncoming bus. Before he knew what had happened he was halfway across London, this time feeling dizzy but not actually introducing the pavement to his big Mac.
Realising something strange was happening he again thought of the orphanage and within seconds he was standing outside it in the yard. After a bit more experimenting he realised that he was spinning at great speed and with barely a thought could control his direction, acceleration and stop dead on the spot. Another amazing thing was he could see the world around him as if he was casually walking down the street.
He quickly realised the potential for this new power could be put to in breaking and entering. He also decided that he needed to have some sort of protection with him in case he got into difficulty again. Hitting upon an idea he speed off one night to the countryside to test it out. Spying a tree in a field some distance away he started spinning really fast when he felt he was going at a sufficient speed he took out one of his marbles and left fly with it. Going over to the tree he found the marble had put a hole right through it’s trunk but had also shattered in the process. Not wanting to end up killing anyone Jake looked through his bag and found a ball bearing. With this in hand he repeated the experiment again it penetrated the trunk but this time stayed in tact. After repeating this a number of times Jake realised that depending on the speed he span dictated the damage he caused. He also found out that he could do devastating attacks with a number of ball bearings in a large area but was not very accurate with them where as with a single ball he could take a fly out in mid air with little effort.

Soon after, with a costume to hide his identity Jake started hiring himself out and became very successful as a cat burglar, so much so that it wasn’t long before he was hired to help a group of supers break into a high tech facility to steel top secret defence plans.

They had just got into the main building when Jake realised the people he was working for were there to steel a new form of explosives that they were going to sell to terrorists. They needed him to break open the safe and when he refused they took one of the two lab assistants and killed him in front of his eyes. Next they chose the female. Jake couldn’t stand by and see her die so let loose with a destructive volley of ball bearings which caused so much structural damage to the building it started to collapse. Quickly spinning to max speed he grabbed the girl and got out just as the roof came in.

When the army turned up Jake was sitting near the rubble with the girl next to him. Realising that his arrogance had got him into this mess in the first place and resulted in a death and racked with guilt he through himself on the mercy of the courts.
The girl who he rescued stood up in court on his behalf and his sentence was lowered to 10 years. Over the last five years Emma (the girl he saved) has been a regular visitor to the prison and their friendship has grown into something stronger.

Knowing that he can never undo what has been done he has decided to turn his powers to good if he is given the opportunity.

Powers
Jake is a mutant his powers allow him to spin at great speed for great distances. A side effect of this power has been his endurance has increased and his skin has become extremely resilient to damage. Another mutant power he seems to possess is his accuracy with his ball bearings or any other thrown items.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Spinbearing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:54 pm 

This probably belongs in another sub-forum, but to answer your question, I'd say that you're making a Super-Human with the powers Armor, Force Shield, and Energy Blast (kinetic) with the flaw Limitation: Requires Ammo (-1). If he can throw just about anything, and not just marbles and ball bearings, then the Limitation isn't necessary.

I'd also keep in mind that this is a zombie superhero game. Your backstory should have something about the effects of Z-Day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 am 

Apologies if I put this in the wrong thread to begin with,

Thanks for the comments I'll have a look at all that tonight and see if i can put something together. As for the background I do need to alter it but it was a character I wrote some time ago for another game which didn't take off and as I liked him I thought I'd see how well he translated into Rotted Capes. I posted it purely to get some feed back on the actual creation of the character in the first instance.

I was thinking changing the end to reflect the fact that Z day was the day of his release and he was still in prison waiting for his release papers to come through when zombies over ran the facility. He escapes and manages to find the girl he saved and manage to link up with other survivors and create a small enclave that he now protects. OR something along those lines

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 am 

jamat1066 wrote:
Apologies if I put this in the wrong thread to begin with,

Thanks for the comments I'll have a look at all that tonight and see if i can put something together. As for the background I do need to alter it but it was a character I wrote some time ago for another game which didn't take off and as I liked him I thought I'd see how well he translated into Rotted Capes. I posted it purely to get some feed back on the actual creation of the character in the first instance.

I was thinking changing the end to reflect the fact that Z day was the day of his release and he was still in prison waiting for his release papers to come through when zombies over ran the facility. He escapes and manages to find the girl he saved and manage to link up with other survivors and create a small enclave that he now protects. OR something along those lines

You can always have your Editor say you helped secure the prison, which now is home to your enclave ala Walking Dead..

it can create a LOT of cool back story with the survivors, many of which would not be good people to begin with.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile