Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transformable Mech
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm 

How would you model a power suit that could transform into a vehicle? I'm looking to build something that is Kind of like a Transformer but with a pilot.

I figured I'd need to base it off the Power Armor tweak. Would it just be a matter of buying Speed/Surge but fluffing it and saying the suit turns into a car when using them?

I figure I'd need to use the growth power to simulate the size and the bulk of the suit. Is there a way to make it permanent?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Transformable Mech
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm 

As in a Robotech: Invid Invasion Cyclo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm 

Ok. This wound up being more difficult than I imagined. It is truly challenging to select, trim down, re-edit, and eliminate certain powers to fit for a 150 pts character while still saving points for Attributes, Advantages, and Skills.

Here's the preliminary version of the Armor/Mech. Feel free to adjust and inquiry as much as you like.

I based these powers assuming you're playing Tech Hero(Archetype)/Heavy(Background)

All powers have the following Flaw: Power Armor (+3)

*Armor AR: X(4 vs. Energy) - Rank 5(8); 11pts

Element/Energy Blast: Plasma Rifle (Removable Item based of Ranged Skill, External Power Source +2) (d10) - Rank 3(8); 6pts; 4 burnout; Range: 8

*Enhanced Attack (Limitation: Only in Robot mode +1) Robotic hands (d10) - Rank 3(7); 4pts

*Enhanced Attribute: Mi (Limitation: Only in Robot mode +1) +5 Mi - Rank 4(8); 7pts

Speed (Limitation: Only in Vehicle mode +1) +4 Pace - Rank 4(8); 10pts

Total Points: 38

* = Primary powers (given from Archetype and Background).

You can probable make use of the Linked Flaw to add additional ranks or shave off points off a power to save towards the other categories (Attributes, Advantages, and/or Skills).

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Last edited by EddieS on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 am 

Thanks Eddie, that is about how I was figuring it would look. Yeah the character is going to be a Tech Hero and Heavy seems the most likely candidate.

I'd probably tack on some Life Support Closed enviro-systems) and maybe some enhanced or super senses but I'm still not sure how to handle the suit always being Large size. I suppose I could just put a "permanent" limitation tweak on Growth but how much does it really limit the suit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 am 

Valentius wrote:
I suppose I could just put a "permanent" limitation tweak on Growth but how much does it really limit the suit?

It shouldn't be to bad, worse case is that you lose -1 to your avoidance due to the mech's size (while granting you a boon to your Mi's die damage). There are roleplaying aspects you'll have to contend with as well (Can't get into places with the mech a normal sized individual can. The impact it will have on people when they see a large sized robot walking about, the attention you will draw from Z's/Super Z's, etc, etc, etc). I imagine the bonus gained will be about a +1 (no burnout cost, but you don't also go through the act of growing into a large being nor shrink down to a normal one). Ultimately it will be up to the Chronicler running the game.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 am 

<major edit>
I found the sidebars about Engineering and it turns out being a Tech Hero make upgrades *really hard* to do. New plan; dump stats and 'grow' into my suit.

Mk8 'Appleseed' Mecha, 60 pts.
All abilities have Power Armour +3, Linked +1.
Armor* / Unique Device 8,
Energy Generation* (Light) (Synergy -1) 8, Element/Energy Blast* (Light): Laser Cannon (Synergy -1, Secondary Effect: Crippled -1) 7# (d10)
Enhanced Attribute*: Mi 8, Enhanced Attribute*: Pr 8, Enhanced Attribute*: Qu 8, Enhanced Attribute: Vi 8, Enhanced Attack: Robotic Hands 7 (d10), Enhanced Sense: Sight 5, Enhanced Vision: Thermal 5, Force Shield 5, Growth: Large (Limitation: Permanent) 5, Life Support* 6, Speed 5, Wireless* 5.

Offline Profile