Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Power Modifications
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 pm 

Can someone help explain the system for purchasing power modifications? the examples in the book just confuse me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Power Modifications
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm 

LuckoftheKevin wrote:
Can someone help explain the system for purchasing power modifications? the examples in the book just confuse me.

Sure thing.

Lets say you buy Element/Energy Blast at rank 5. Now you factor in Power modifications.

Those with a + modifier (Flaws) add directly to the rank of the power, but add some sort of limitation onto it as well. Example: the Element/Energy Blast 5 has applied the Fatiguing Flaw (a +2 modification). This will increase this Power's rank from 5 to 7 (while increasing the Burnout cost from 4 to 6).

Now those with a - modifier (Perks) removes ranks from a power, but this downside is supplemented by adding a benefit onto it. Example: Using the same Elemental/Energy Blast at Rank 5 takes the Perk: Accurate (a -2 modifier). This will change the Power's rank from 5 to 3, but adds the benefit of +2 to hit when using this power.

Note: Modifiers do not cost you, nor give back extra points to apply to a power. They just do as their namesake says: Modify. In this case they modify the ranks of the power and apply either a limitation (Flaw, + modifiers) or a benefit (Perks, - modifiers).

I hope this helps,

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm 

it does, thank you. Though after character creation, while you are advancing, how much experience does it end up costing? Going from the book, they use the example that applying the Accurate perk to an elemental/energy blast 5 as a primary power would end up costing 13 experience points, I'm trying to figure out where that number comes from.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 pm 

LuckoftheKevin wrote:
it does, thank you. Though after character creation, while you are advancing, how much experience does it end up costing? Going from the book, they use the example that applying the Accurate perk to an elemental/energy blast 5 as a primary power would end up costing 13 experience points, I'm trying to figure out where that number comes from.

This number comes calculating how many ranks the Power goes up for advancement purposes when adding the Perk: Accurate, which is a -2 modifier. When advancing a Power with a Modifier, each + or - is figured in as a raising a Rank with that Power solely for the purposes of advancement. In the case of the Perk: Accurate (a -2 modifier), we would be raising the Elemental/Energy Blast 5 by 2. Two more ranks from Rank 5 would cost 13 pts. (+6+7 = 13 pts.)

Note: Had this Power been a Primary Power, the relative costs would be slightly less expensive.

I hope this helps further,

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:38 pm 

Ok, one more question. Using the example above, say instead i was to apply the fatiguing mod (Flaw +2) using the supplied system above, that would cost me 13(?) experience points. why do this? Why not just raise my rank the same amount that the flaw would have? I recognize that the untapped potential rule the flaws are a way to get even higher, but still. it makes no sense to me to get a flaw applied to my power for the same amount as it would to gain only the benefit.

Also, as it only talks about play exp for power mods in the advancement section, does that mean that you don't have to pay at character creation? Mainly asked because in the topic "Character Creation" (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=688), the suggested build for the hero Mantis doesn't include the experience costs for making the powers linked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:46 pm 

LuckoftheKevin wrote:
Ok, one more question. Using the example above, say instead i was to apply the fatiguing mod (Flaw +2) using the supplied system above, that would cost me 13(?) experience points. why do this? Why not just raise my rank the same amount that the flaw would have? I recognize that the untapped potential rule the flaws are a way to get even higher, but still. it makes no sense to me to get a flaw applied to my power for the same amount as it would to gain only the benefit.

Also, as it only talks about play exp for power mods in the advancement section, does that mean that you don't have to pay at character creation? Mainly asked because in the topic "Character Creation" (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=688), the suggested build for the hero Mantis doesn't include the experience costs for making the powers linked.

Applying that Flaw after character creation isn't really worth it, like you mentioned, for the 13 xp, one can just increase that power's rank instead. At character creation, however, it is practically a free boost to a power's rank that comes with a 'flaw' as one doesn't pay for these flaws with pts, it's just applied and then the power's rank adjusted.

It should be noted that, after character creation, there are certain Perks that one can also buy for a power that makes it worth spending the exp into them instead of raising a power's rank. For example, lets say one was to apply the Perk Penetrating (a -2 Perk) instead of Fatiguing. It will still cost one 13 xp to apply this to the power, but now the power remains at the same rank with the added benefit of the Perk.

It doesn't make much sense to apply a Flaw after character creation due to the xp cost involved, but it does in the case of Perks. Know what I mean?

Hope this helps :)

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm 

So wait, Let me see if i am understanding this correctly.

If acquired at character creation, power modifications do not cost experience per say, but it would then lower/raise the effective rank of that power. Making a power with initial ranks of 5 being lowered to a 3 if you added a -2 perk. you would still pay to advance it as if it were at a rank of 5 though.

If acquired after character creation, You have to pay experience points to acquire power modifications as if you were raising the power itself by the amount involved, but it wouldn't change the effective rank of the power, just net you the benefit of the perk (or the negative of the flaw).

Thats how i am interpreting the above.

It also hen makes it a lot better to acquire power mods early on. From level 5, it would cost 13 for a +2 mod, while from level 10 it would then cost 23 for the same mod

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 pm 

LuckoftheKevin wrote:
So wait, Let me see if i am understanding this correctly.

If acquired at character creation, power modifications do not cost experience per say, but it would then lower/raise the effective rank of that power. Making a power with initial ranks of 5 being lowered to a 3 if you added a -2 perk. you would still pay to advance it as if it were at a rank of 5 though.

If acquired after character creation, You have to pay experience points to acquire power modifications as if you were raising the power itself by the amount involved, but it wouldn't change the effective rank of the power, just net you the benefit of the perk (or the negative of the flaw).

Thats how i am interpreting the above.

This is how I understand it as well. :D

LuckoftheKevin wrote:
It also hen makes it a lot better to acquire power mods early on. From level 5, it would cost 13 for a +2 mod, while from level 10 it would then cost 23 for the same mod

Also correct :D

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile