Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Control Gravity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 pm 

Hi all

Just wondering if I can get some clarification on Control Gravity.

Had a player with the power and it appears to be game breaking.

The power is scene based and could incapacitate the majority of opponents, making them unable to move under the weight of the increased gravity. It also damages on the first round as you apply it for the first time (by applying the increase all at once.

Because it is scene and does not mention concentration, the player argued that he could do one opponent, (paying burnout once). Next turn move to the next (burnout again, but nothing extra for keeping the first incapacitated), etc.

As I said, it seemed far too powerful,

Cheers

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Control Gravity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:29 pm 

I think there is a misreading of the power. It only adds encumbrance if the power is at least equal to the creatures might. They are unable to move only if the power is 4x the creature's might.

If it really is just that disruptive I'd start having consequences for multiple instances in close proximity. Probably penalties to the check for each instance already up or if multiple in the same area start having it impact all creatures including the team. Another option is to see what it does to the environment you want to crush the zombie but what does that do to the floor it is smashed against.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 am 

Thanks Archangel

Unfortunately the play is very rules focus and argued that rulings were not what was written.

That's why I am trying to clarify the rules so I know if to just ban it from my game.

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:15 pm 

I haven't used it in play yet myself, but as noted above, its not quite as powerful as first interpretation looks.

Target Mi (Required Ranks to immobilise)
3 (7)
4 (9)
5 (11)
6 (14)

Also, once in the Powers grip, they have to be released (as a Free Action) before the power can be applied again, limiting its damage potential {Power Die + (Attribute Die)}

I crunched it heavily from the levitation angle when looking at it (to try and cause Wounds by falling damage) and the maximum possible levitation was 2 areas (2d8 Stamina from falling) due to the lifting cap of 2x targets weight. It was impossible to get a human/zombie target 3 Areas high for the auto-wound damage. [ The only exception was a 600 lb target could be lifted 3 areas; the only point the table 'breaks'. ]

Also the big limitation is that Scene duration,
RCRPG pg 54 wrote:
Scene: Once this power is activated it lasts until the end of the Scene, powers with this duration may be shut off at the hero's discretion before the end of the scene as a free action.

To affect a new target, you need to shut off the Power before you can apply it again.

Applying the Chained Blast trick expands the number of targets (to Power pV) which is only one and a bit mobs held.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:52 am 

@southernskies with the exception of multiple applications of the power being active simultaneously in one scene (wasn't aware of that definition oops), this was exactly how it was used in the game. Added encumberance (or immobilized if target is under a certain Mi score) plus one-off damage (as described) for adding the weight all at once. There were no instances of it being used to decrease weight. Used in this way, it impacted the flow of the combat materially.

@archangel it's the following paragraph to the encumberance one that talks about potential damage, and good ideas re multiple instances.

@taffy even with the one target at a time limitation, it's still a very powerful power at higher ranks delivering both damage and a powerful debuff (encumberance is powerful as is immobalisation). As the play(er) in question, am very happy for it to be nerfed or (more simply) to simply retire the character

Offline Profile