Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bystander Stamina
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 pm 

Hi!

Just a quick question - it saying in the book (pg 107) that Bystanders only have 1 Wound and 1 Stamina. It also suggests that we reskin bystanders for thugs if need be. One of my players thought it was odd that Bystanders only have 1 Stamina when a cat has like 23 stamina.

My thinking was that 'mooks' are supposed to be easy to take out by heroes, thus it's usually just one hit and they're down - regardless of how much damage you actually do. However, my players wanted me to confirm this line of thinking.

So! Am I right? Are bystanders marked as Stamina 1, Wound 1 because the game wants you to feel like you can take on a bunch of them without too much issue?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bystander Stamina
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 am 

Hello,

Yes, that's correct. We wanted to create that comic book feel where a Hero can blow through a dozen guards without breaking much of a sweat. Additionally, it makes protecting them from zombies something Heroes really have to pay attention to as they drop from one bite (attack).

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 am 

That's what I thought! Thanks Henry!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 pm 

Anytime. :-)

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 pm 

Bystanders are considered Mobs (pg.108), so get 1/1.

Depending on the story, Bystanders can be upgraded.
Bystander Mob: 1 wound / 1 stamina
Bystander Common: 1 wound / 24 stamina
Bystander Exceptional: 2 wounds / 49 stamina
Bystander Hero: as per character creation

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 pm 

Yup. We were doing a game when we ran into a group of 20 Bystanders with various firearms. We sadly made them all Common Bystanders. It. Was. A. Slog. Right after we finished off the last of them, their Super Z 'friend' showed up. By the end of the battle, two of us were down to 1 wound, 0 stamina. One of us had like 1 stamina left and 2 wounds. And we had an archer who ran out of arrows. We barely survived...

After my confirmation, we talked and all realized what we should have done. We should have made a few of the raiders Common Bystanders and the rest straight up mooks.

Painful lesson to learn but we survived!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:58 pm 

Please be careful! A really big mob can be deadlier than a bunch of commons (due to gaining +2 to hit and +2 to damage for each additional member).
A mob of 20 is +38 to hit and +38 damage!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:33 pm 

Absolutely! Lucky for us, the mob split its attention... I think the worst hit was myself. I took like 35 points of stamina damage and a wound. It was a nasty fight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 pm 

Can a mob of 20 exist? p.108 says "Mobs are groups of 4 to 6 common threats." Would a 20-mob group be a single +38 group or, say, 4x mobs of 5 at +8 each?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:19 am 

Under "Attacking", pg108.

".. +2 bonus to hit and damage for each attacker beyond the first. Attackers need not be of the same mob but must be of the same creature type."

If the Clock synchronizes for multiple mobs in the same area... someone is going to die. It makes some battlefield control important to prevent multiple mobs just piling in at once.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next