Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rotted Capes Fallout style
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:01 am 

A little background on it. This has been a long running part time project I've had. My daughter is 6 and loves to sit with me when I play Fallout, she just loves the game and has gotten her younger brother to start sitting on me as well. So when she asked to play I had to come up with something, as there are parts that are too mature for her and I can't avoid those if she is the one playing. In the end we decided to do a pen and paper game set in Fallout 4 and Rotted Capes was the best fit I could think of.

I decided she would be the star of the show with me playing her companion. I tweaked zombies to be the ghouls, made up some simple rules for radiation, added a weaker form or power armor for non-tech heroes, made powers available through technology and mutations, modified bystanders to be the basic settler and raiders of the lands, and made some higher level enemies using regular creation rules. I plan on using some of the animal entries as analogs for some of the wildlife in fallout, cats are rad roaches, bears are ya guai, great cats for deathclaws. I plan on adding more to bestiary as we go.

As for characters she will be the sole survivor and wanted a bow like Merida from Disney's Brave. She and I talked about it and her character was a Vet before the bombs fell. I picked out some skill sets and adavantages to help her with animals. She also has a mask that lets her talk with many animals, power as a removable item, and some great skills to help her, powers as all skill.

My character is simply a former member of the Enclave running around in some prototype power armor from before the bombs fell. It is from a mod for 4 and it is Liberty Prime based power armor and a suitably cool looking gun from another mod. So I'll be tanking for her and using a high tech energy assault rifle.

My daughter's god father will likely be joining us, but hasn't made a character yet.

Character builds: Sole Survivor, Liberator.

I just wanted to share what I've done and see what you guys think. Hopefully some of the things I've come up with will be useful for you in your games. I'm also a huge fan of using spreadsheets to build and plan characters so I make sure I have everything counted up right. I'll try and remember to do an AAR once we get started.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rotted Capes Fallout style
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:16 pm 

I don't play the game since I've never been a big zombie fan, but I think it's really cool that you are getting your daughter into our hobby. Hope she has a good time and best of luck with the game!

Since you are in "Cajun country" [I'm originally from Lake Charles and lived in Lafayette and Baton Rouge] how about putting some local spin on things? Using areas she's seen before might make the game more fun and relevant. Of course she's six so we don't to scare her too much, but kids are tougher than we give them credit for sometimes.

Now I have not played Fallout so I don't know if the local angle would work but I think it's worth looking into. Take care.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:04 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
I don't play the game since I've never been a big zombie fan, but I think it's really cool that you are getting your daughter into our hobby. Hope she has a good time and best of luck with the game!

Since you are in "Cajun country" [I'm originally from Lake Charles and lived in Lafayette and Baton Rouge] how about putting some local spin on things? Using areas she's seen before might make the game more fun and relevant. Of course she's six so we don't to scare her too much, but kids are tougher than we give them credit for sometimes.

Now I have not played Fallout so I don't know if the local angle would work but I think it's worth looking into. Take care.

I may eventually do that with the game, plan on keeping it pretty campy in tone rather than horror. Maybe even have that be a big story arc getting to some fabled safe haven down south. The key points within the fallout setting are that the microchip didn't get invented after WWII so everything was rather inefficient with power and nuclear power was the only reliable source. The world fought over the last oil and in October 2077 nuclear war started with the US and China. The games don't tell us much about the world outside the US after that, but they have taken place at various east and west coast locations with few references to the rest of the country. The current games are just over 200 years after the war.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:32 pm 

Do you know one of the reasons miniaturized electronics were invented? So we could fit nuclear warheads onto ballistic missiles. A lot of innovation we take for granted was driven by the needs of the Cold War. So fighting with nuclear weapons in the Fallout game without the microchip is hilarious.

How are the nuclear weapons delivered in the game. I suppose they could have used old fashioned bombers. But the missiles would need transistors and all that sort of stuff.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:32 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Do you know one of the reasons miniaturized electronics were invented? So we could fit nuclear warheads onto ballistic missiles. A lot of innovation we take for granted was driven by the needs of the Cold War. So fighting with nuclear weapons in the Fallout game without the microchip is hilarious.

How are the nuclear weapons delivered in the game. I suppose they could have used old fashioned bombers. But the missiles would need transistors and all that sort of stuff.

If I recall correctly it was done by bomber, artillery, and less sophisticated rockets. They did have some ICBMs but they were not much like what we have today, more of shotgun approach of getting several war heads to the area and covering it all in nuclear blast. They also went the way of quantity over power, where there were very few bombs in the mega ton range. In the setting many smaller, few hundred kiloton, bombs were used in the war. Heck you can even get a weapon called the fat man that launches a mini nuke for ammo.

Offline Profile