Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finally got mine!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm 

Found out about Rotted Capes after the kickstarter had finished up, so I just had to wait till the book came out. Working on the whole 'b-lister' concept; I'm used to a lot more powerful supers. My head is filling up with ideas: a pair of B-listers (on a hero, one a villain), some story set up, and way in the back of my head, a very different z'ed super. Oh, and maybe some extra verbal sauce.

One of the things that got stuck is the Dynamic Power: a b-lister who has the ability to have ANY power? How can that be? :o
I look forward to sharing ideas with you all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Finally got mine!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 pm 

Hello,

Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you were able to get a copy and (appear) to be enjoying it!

Peter is the game mechanics designer and I'm sure he'll chime in soon with an answer to your question.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am 

tricky wrote:
One of the things that got stuck is the Dynamic Power: a b-lister who has the ability to have ANY power? How can that be?

there are several ways to use this power in a way that still fits the b-lister theam

some examples,
> Robin or Hawkeye always having the right gadget/arrow for the job (dynamic power - limited uses)

> Darwin from Marvel Comics: His power let him adapt to any condition, but when he first started it was rather limited in power

> A hero with advanced cybernetics/technology which can "re-arrange" it's power set, I think there was a power armor like guy in DC with powers like this.

It's not the power per-say but the ranks...

A-Lister commonly have all their powers over 12-16 ranks, no way a starting B-Lister can be that good, the best they can hope to start off with is 6.

I created a B-lister, A-lister, and then an Omaga level speedster.... the difference was quite shocking...I think my Omega was able to Run (and FLY!) at Mach 1.5... by B-Lister was able to get speed boosts to 175mph (still fast if you think about it)

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 pm 

I've been crunching numbers: with the limit of 75 xp on any one aspect of creation, the most ranks on Dynamic I could spend would be 10 (The old TSR Marvel SuperHeroes game always put a limit like that on Meta powers). I know that's quite a bit higher than the usual limit for a B, but since you can only manifest powers equal to half of your rank in Dynamic, that gives you at best a rank of 5 in one power, which is in the B-list ballpark.
As I consider this guy, I wonder about his B-Lister status. Why would someone who could do ANYTHING be a B-Lister? Well, I would imagine it is a mix of his stats and his being a generalist.

Powers (and burnout) are a function of his attributes, and frankly, for a B they just aren't there. His upper range of 9 is like the medium to low of an A-lister. So he's not going to hit as hard, shoot as far, or travel as fast as someone with higher stats. As for being a generalist, sure, he can throw a fireball in this scene, and then superspeed you away in that scene, but you could just bring Flaming Fist and Blur to do that, and they'll do it better.

That's not to say that this guy isn't useful, and in time he might have risen to the level of the A's. But right now he's Jake of all Trades, master of none, (Jack O Trades might be his name, trying it out) but in a world where the greats are flesh eating monsters, he's the best you're gonna get.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:49 pm 

tricky wrote:
That's not to say that this guy isn't useful, and in time he might have risen to the level of the A's. But right now he's Jake of all Trades, master of none, (Jack O Trades might be his name, trying it out) but in a world where the greats are flesh eating monsters, he's the best you're gonna get.

For sure he will be handy,

Keep in mind you need to chose your powers at the start of the scene (or blow a plot die.) and you only emulate 1 power at a time...

while someone that starts with a power suit may not be quite as strong as your guy with one power, the generalist will be able to pull on more then one power at once, and develop Emulated Powers.

It's a trade off..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile