Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Players
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:30 pm 

I have a group of Pathfinder players who are interested in playing Witch Hunter 2nd edition. One of them is a veteran of the old campaigns for both Witch Hunter and Arcanis. What's my best strategy for bringing them on board and what would be the best mod to introduce them to the world. I own the 2nd ed core book and Cities of Mystery along with stuff from 1st ed. But its been a long while since I played or GMed.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Players
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:16 am 

Well, if you are looking strictly to staying with a revelations campaign, And given how quiet things are going right now, I'd probably start with season 1, then season 2, and then finish with Legion cycle.

Season 1, I believe the consensus was to start with adventure 2 before going to 1, then 3 and onward. I haven't read over the season 2 rounds. Clint would be the best advisor, but I can't remember the last time I saw him post here. Maybe send him a private message? Or contact him over Facebook on the Revelations group.

You will need to tweak Legion Cycle's intro a bit as it expects novice characters with regards to the court of whispers, but that shouldn't be hard. And that adventure will buy you plenty of time to play through for PCI (or AAE) to figure out what they are doing with the living campaign.

That what I'd do anyway. Or go off the grid and cook up your own grand adventure! :D

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:57 am 

Blusponge wrote:
That what I'd do anyway. Or go off the grid and cook up your own grand adventure! :D

Tom

Given I am running OP Pathfinder, playing and running Legends of Arcanis, running a home Star Wars SAGA campaign, playing in a home Pathfinder Skull and Shackles game, and trying to get involved with D&D 5ed and 7th Sea 2nd Ed, "cooking up" my own WH game just ain't in the cards. :( Oh yeah and I try to find time to paint and play miniature games as well. Plus work a regular job. Yeah my plate is pretty full. But I'm (generally) having fun so I'm not complaining (too much ;).

BTW I assume all the materials you reference are WH 2nd Ed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:06 am 

Ha! I would think not! I wish I had your time. :)

Well there is plenty of WHR sanctioned stuff out there to keep you busy for a while. Hopefully by the time you run out of things to do, we'll know more about the future.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:21 am 

Fortunately no kids and wife to eat up time. Gaming is what I do for fun mostly. Plus I have a job whose nature allows me to work on gaming while performing my duties. And to be clear most of these campaigns are only played twice a month each. But is still adds up...for instance I played a Pathfinder OP mod Friday night, I'm running an Arcanis mod today after work, and my Star Wars SAGA game tomorrow. Skull and Shackles next Saturday and Pathfinder OP at a local game store a week from this coming Tuesday (which is the group interested in WH--we'd play on the opposite Tuesdays--see what I mean about my full plate? :)

Personally I really like the new 7th Sea. If you want to run a WH style campaign just go to Eisen and run round in the forests. All sorts of nasty beasties there! And the system is even simpler!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:04 pm 

The Season 1 plan is the way to go. I have 4 mods being edited right now (the 3 from Origins and 1 more) and I am hiring out a dozen for next year (4 trilogies)

If you don't care about them fitting into the Revelations campaign, then I would go with legion's cycle because it can run for a nice long time

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:21 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Personally I really like the new 7th Sea. If you want to run a WH style campaign just go to Eisen and run round in the forests. All sorts of nasty beasties there! And the system is even simpler!

I hear ya. I love 7th Sea. Have since I saw the first promos for the original edition back in 1999. The new edition is a little hit and miss for me. I really liked how Eisen was originally, and the game system is just a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm testing it out while I wait to see what the sourcebooks are going to add. I'm still trying to wrap my head around parts of it, and some tricks I'm accustomed too (like mysteries) just don't click easily into place.

Are you active on the 7th Sea 2e forums?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:28 am 

Not yet got onto the 7th Sea 2e forums. We're finishing up Pathfinder Skull and Shackles first. Once we actually start playing the game I probably will get on the forums. Right now I'm just working my way through the book figuring out how things work. Never got to play the first edition as we were busy with other systems at the time.

FYI John Wick is a guest of honor at Ucon in Michigan this coming November.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 am 

Gotcha. There are a couple of us over there, like Harlequinn. I'm always happy to have more WH players in the mix. I've been playing this game long enough, sometimes you guys and gals are the only ones who understand what I'm talking about. :)

I wrote about our first play experience on my blog. We had a great time, though there are still parts of the game we struggled with. Recently I tried plotting up a murder mystery and found creating consequences around the investigation...challenging. So there is a learning curve. It does not play like any traditional rpg I've ever played. I'm not sure it'll ever be my go-to system, much as it pains me. I've always viewed 7th Sea and Epic of Aerth as my gamer retirement plan - that either one would be a setting I could finish out my gaming days exploring. Not so sure now. Maybe WH has spoiled me. ;)

If you're interested, I can send you a copy of the adventure I ran. I'm cooking up a new one too, but they won't be related beyond both involving sea travel.

Tom

Offline Profile