Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New Project: Witch Hunter Player Mat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 pm 

Under Stances -> Aggressive, you get the bonus die only for wagering, not any attack.

I don't get the point of the In A Fight box. It's not a list of all of the possible attack or combat actions or what type of action each one is (and includes 'be aggressive' which seems like a reference to your stance), so... what's it for?

Under Action Speed, I recommend saying 'reasonably unlimited' or 'effectively unlimited' next to Free, rather than having it blank.
And maybe change Trivial to '1 per Quick/Complex', since '1 with any combo' seems like you get one with two quicks or 1 with a complex.

Myself, I'm a fan of reference sheets and similar. So I like the lower half.
I never fill out 'play aids' beyond my character sheet, so the upper half is less appealing.
That said, I think the overall design is still pretty cool.

-Vic

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm 

Iceman wrote:
Under Stances -> Aggressive, you get the bonus die only for wagering, not any attack.

Ooooh! Good catch!

Quote:
I don't get the point of the In A Fight box. It's not a list of all of the possible attack or combat actions or what type of action each one is (and includes 'be aggressive' which seems like a reference to your stance), so... what's it for?

It's about prompting the new player to dig into combat tactics without overwhelming them with numbers and rules. You're right that Aggressive is redundant, so maybe it and Defensive need to go. But really, it's meant more to get people asking questions beyond "what can I do?" That makes a lot less work and explanation time for the GM, especially in organized play where time svat a premium!

Quote:
Under Action Speed, I recommend saying 'reasonably unlimited' or 'effectively unlimited' next to Free, rather than having it blank.

Good idea.

Quote:
And maybe change Trivial to '1 per Quick/Complex', since '1 with any combo' seems like you get one with two quicks or 1 with a complex.

Umm...by my understanding, that's exactly what you get. Am I wrong about that? I need to check the rules.

Quote:
Myself, I'm a fan of reference sheets and similar. So I like the lower half.
I never fill out 'play aids' beyond my character sheet, so the upper half is less appealing.
That said, I think the overall design is still pretty cool.

Thanks Vic. I'm willing to bet the dice boxes will get a lot more use than any if us suspect. I've seen my notes after a game, and I don't play my monsters that tactically. As a player-even an experienced one-this sort of thing is valuable to me. The idea of the mat is meant to organize things for the new player so they can spend less time thinking about all the different moving parts of the game and just get into character. The SW version worked great for this, but that game has lots of "pieces" (dice, cards, tokens) compared to WH. So I'm open to changing things if I get work from the field that no one is using part of it, or something just confuses the hell out of people.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 pm 

Ok, thanks to Iceman's comments, I've made a few tweaks and corrections. I also managed to stick in a definition of a Wager, which is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. So here is an image of the new revision. Almost...there!

Also, I took Vic's comments about not giving a rip about all the markers and gauges to heart and created an alternate version that threw all that stuff out. Tell me what you think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:40 pm 

Looks good and I plan to make these for games.
For aesthetics if still spread hero points under the right columns and drop dice pools all the way to the bottom.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:50 pm 

...and DONE!

Here's a link to the finished PDF.

Witch Hunter Player Mat

I'm only posting the full version of the original version for right now. If there is enough interest, I'll upload the 1/2 page version too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:33 pm 

That is awesome!

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:32 pm 

Thanks Harlequin!

Don't anyone go printing out and laminating it just yet. HeridFel found a few typos and errors that need fixing. I'm hoping I can get the update posted tonight.

EDIT: Ok. The new version is up. Several itsy-bitsy changes that make the whole thing a bit more consistent. Enjoy!

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:50 pm 

I'm going to be printing and using these at Winter Fantasy for folks, so will see how they do!

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:57 pm 

Very cool! Let me know how useful they turn out to be in play. I don't get much feedback on any of these reference aids, and I'm curious if people are actually using them. Besides me, of course. I use them every game session.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:56 am 

I only was able to run 1 Witch Hunter table (due to lack of players signing up and no 'stragglers' to wrangler). The feedback I received from 1 player was that the Health Track was too large of an area for what it provided info wise but that the rules for attack modifiers at the bottom was very useful. Most weren't sure what to put in the upper right (Defenses) either write your number or put dice. If it was a number, they felt it was too large also.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3