Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Collated Errata + FAQ queries
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 pm 

Excellent; thanks very much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 am 

A few questions:

1. Can I spend elective skill points on Sorcerous skills (e.g. Hermieticism, Prayer, etc)? as professional skills?
2. What action type is it to use command to shake people out of fear effects?

Cheerio,

Ben

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am 

malladin.ben wrote:
A few questions:

1. Can I spend elective skill points on Sorcerous skills (e.g. Hermieticism, Prayer, etc)? as professional skills?

Cheerio,

Ben

1) Sorcererous Skills aren't Professional Skills, they have their own category.

2) I don't know this one off hand.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 am 

I'll second all that Harlequin has to say, but...

malladin.ben wrote:

I'd argue you could use Charm/Persuade or Command/Leadership to do this. I'd set the Difficulty pretty high (prolly 5), especially since characters already get a second chance after 2 rounds. This might also be a good candidate for a talent (greater). But as Harlequin said, there isn't a specific focus geared to doing this. Does there need to be though? Use your best judgement on the Difficulty and let them take a shot.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 am 

1. so I can't spend elective points on sorcerous skills? Seems harsh on spellcasting characters.

p110 wrote:
Leadership can also be used to overcome the effects of Fear checks by others (see page 190). The commander must be capable of giving such orders: a Witch Hunter fleeing from a ghost is not a particularly inspiring sight to those he would lead. The character rolls Leadership (with all interaction bonuses and penalties such as for commanding multiple targets) and adds any successes to the original results of the commanded characters.

But it doesn't say what action type. Quick? Complex?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 am 

As you noted, I don't think the action type is given. I'd allow it as a quick action since the command is simple ("Stand and fight, you cowardly knaves!" - or nicer as the case may be).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:20 pm 

malladin.ben wrote:
p110 wrote:
Leadership can also be used to overcome the effects of Fear checks by others...

Oh good. So I'm right and wrong. That's an improvement. ;)

Of course, this suggests Leadership can help YOU overcome the effects of fear, not motivate your companion out of it. (But I'd allow that, too.)

Quote:
But it doesn't say what action type. Quick? Complex?

Hmmm...it's pretty much left up to the GM, but I'm gonna say Complex. If it's a quick action, it doesn't really cost the character anything. In fact, you might as well just allow a +1d to Fear rolls for every 2 ranks in Leadership and just be done with it. Right now, you fail your fear roll and get to roll again after 2 rounds (or, in more gamist terms, lose your next 2 actions). Leadership suddenly gives you an immediate second chance on your next action. Making it a complex Action to shake off the effects of fear still gives it some teeth.

OTOH, when it comes to motivating your companions to shake off fear effects, I'd leave it up to the player's description. A slap across the face and a "move it, soldier!" would be a Quick Action. Taking a moment to calm you companion down while restraining him so he doesn't bolt from cover where he is sure to give away your position to something big and hungry would most definitely be a Complex action. If you want to be even more judicious, I'd let the player do it as a Quick Action for a 1d Wager. That gives her a choice in the matter and lets her gauge the risks against her abilities.

In fact, that's for that. I think that will be going in the fear cheat sheet when I get to it. :)

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:58 pm 

malladin.ben wrote:
1. so I can't spend elective points on sorcerous skills? Seems harsh on spellcasting characters.

Not particularly. Spellcasting isn't the norm that it is in some games.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm 

So a little confusion for Foci.

I get the impression that the Performs are each different skills. The different Performs are each an individual skill?

Does this apply to Scholarship as well?

Melee or Ranged?

Any other skills?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 am 

I see the confusion. The Perform skill instructs you to choose a focci. the implication of this is that you can make perform checks with that focus. However, the Skill Foci section on page 107 says:
Quote:
A character with levels in a skill may make use of all of its Foci.

However, Speak Language has its own special section that says that each language is tracked separately. Perform does not. So I'd be inclined to let you use your perform ranks on any of the individual foci. (As ridiculous as it may sound to say that ranks in Perform(Dance) would carry over into Perform(Wind Instruments).)

Eric: Any chance you can clear up whether this was the intention or if the "Special" section was accidentally left off?

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next