Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Collated Errata + FAQ queries
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:08 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
I see the confusion. The Perform skill instructs you to choose a focci. the implication of this is that you can make perform checks with that focus. However, the Skill Foci section on page 107 says:
Quote:
A character with levels in a skill may make use of all of its Foci.

However, Speak Language has its own special section that says that each language is tracked separately. Perform does not. So I'd be inclined to let you use your perform ranks on any of the individual foci. (As ridiculous as it may sound to say that ranks in Perform(Dance) would carry over into Perform(Wind Instruments).)

A very interesting catch. Looking back at First Edition, it looks as though Perform foci should work exactly like the Trained Knowledge focus from Scholarship, with each "focus" being a specific field of study.

Scott, I'm not so sure I'd be so willing to treat them as standard foci, no more than I would let Scholarship (Biology) overlap with Scholarship (Politics). It would depend greatly on the character and the campaign. I think the special condition for Trained Knowledge should apply here too. It seems to be a much easier solution than disallowing any overlap whatsoever.

At least, that's what I'm going to do in my home game. :)

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm 

If I had it to over right now, I would probably mimic Trained Knowledge, though I find it doubtful we will be defeating any Fallen Angels through interpretative dance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 am 

So what skill function where each Focus requires it's own ranks?

Perform
Scholarship

Any other skills?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:35 am 

Deviknyte wrote:
So what skill function where each Focus requires it's own ranks?

Perform
Scholarship

Any other skills?

That is not how it works. You have ranks in Scholarship - they are your ranks for every Trained Knowledge (you are educated, you were exposed to other subjects) it is just subject to the following rules exception:

WH2E Page 117 wrote:
Special: Characters without a specialization in the appropriate Trained Knowledge may only achieve successes on an 8+.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:17 pm 

Thanks Eric.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:28 pm 

During creation, if you have gain the same focus twice, I'm assuming the second one does nothing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm 

Deviknyte wrote:
During creation, if you have gain the same focus twice, I'm assuming the second one does nothing?

Do mean like from your Background and your Order? If so, then you only get the Skill Rank unless if it something like Trained Knowledge where you can pick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:42 pm 

That's what I thought.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:59 pm 

Can I make a suggestion? Assuming someone wanted to be a cheese master they could save their survival points until after their first few adventures and get attributes and skills above 4 very early.

I think the errata or campaign guide should say that you can't have an attribute or skill above four before using a minimum of 400 survival points. Or 300 maybe, but then someone with flaws can hoard their 100 points.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 am 

Deviknyte wrote:
Can I make a suggestion? Assuming someone wanted to be a cheese master they could save their survival points until after their first few adventures and get attributes and skills above 4 very early.

I think the errata or campaign guide should say that you can't have an attribute or skill above four before using a minimum of 400 survival points. Or 300 maybe, but then someone with flaws can hoard their 100 points.

Ok, just how many SP are being awarded for WHR rounds? In my home game, we've been playing since late October and I think one player has around 80 SP in the bank. Folks have bumped a skill here and there, maybe a talent, but I'm not seeing anything close to this abuse. Maybe it's because I generally award between 6 and 8 SP per session where the players don't see a lot of combat. Maybe I'm being stingy. But without doing so hard math, I'm not seeing this avenue for abuse. Or at least it isn't playing out that way at my table.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next