Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Damage Roll - How is the Pool Built?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:52 pm 

In the Combat Section for Damage it says:

The Dice pool is equal to the Attribute used in the attack + the DM of the weapon or effect + any excess successes from the attack roll.

Example (With a DM +2 and Ability +3): After rolling your Attack (Ability + Skill) and Comparing to Defense, you have 2 Excess Successes. The Damage Roll is Ability + DM + Excess Successes, which is a Dice Pool of 3 (Ability) +2 (DM) +2 (Excess) = 7

-----

In the Melee / Ranged Skill Sections it says:

Roll a number of dice equal to your Ability plus your skill levels minus the complexity of the weapon. Compare the result to the target’s Avoidance Defense. Add remaining successes to the weapon’s DM (see Damage page 190).

Example (With a DM +2 and Ability +3): After rolling your Attack (Ability + Skill) and Comparing to Defense, you have 2 Excess Successes. The Damage Roll is DM + Excess Successes, which is a Dice Pool of 2 (DM) +2 (Excess) = 4

===========

Question 1: For Melee Weapons which have a DM expressed as "+X", do you add your Ability in for the Damage Roll (assuming at least 1 Excess Success on the Attack)?

Question 2: For Ranged Weapons which have a DM expressed as a fixed "X", do you roll the Ability in for Damage or just the base DM?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damage Roll - How is the Pool Built?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:07 am 

I've assumed that all damage is built in the fashion of melee weapons. Ability+DM+excess successes vs Avoidance. That's the way it is described in the damage section under combat.

+X under DM should be read as +X DM, or X DM. It's just a different way of expressing it. I believe that's how it was expressed in 1st Ed.

That's not to say I'm not doing it wrong, but it seems weird that ranged damage would add an entirely different factor.

And don't forget, if the opponent Parries (melee) or Dodges (Ranged), you reduce the damage pool by his or her successes.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 am 

Blusponge wrote:
I've assumed that all damage is built in the fashion of melee weapons. Ability+DM+excess successes vs Avoidance. That's the way it is described in the damage section under combat.

+X under DM should be read as +X DM, or X DM. It's just a different way of expressing it. I believe that's how it was expressed in 1st Ed.

That's not to say I'm not doing it wrong, but it seems weird that ranged damage would add an entirely different factor.

And don't forget, if the opponent Parries (melee) or Dodges (Ranged), you reduce the damage pool by his or her successes.

Tom

The main reason I ask is that all Ranged weapons but pistol use DM, and all melee weapons used +DM. It's certainly possible that it was just a typo in the table. I'd like to think it's consistent across all weapons :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am 

Yeah, but I view that in the same light as all the talent summaries reading +1 when they really mean +1d. Rough edges that can be cleaned up in the next printing. DM is DM, it all means the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:39 am 

Blusponge wrote:
Yeah, but I view that in the same light as all the talent summaries reading +1 when they really mean +1d. Rough edges that can be cleaned up in the next printing. DM is DM, it all means the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

That's cool, that was my assumption as well, so glad someone else is thinking the same way.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 am 

+DM

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm 

So...does that mean we're right, Eric?

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm 

Ability + excess successes + DM

Offline Profile