Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Flower of Battle - Questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:29 pm 

The Master of all Weapons says to ignore Complexity on Improvised Weapons. However, the table lists 0 Complexity for Imrpovised Weapons. What does that mean?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Flower of Battle - Questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:20 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
The Master of all Weapons says to ignore Complexity on Improvised Weapons. However, the table lists 0 Complexity for Imrpovised Weapons. What does that mean?

John

It is not expressed in the current PDF, but the Improvised weapons from the book tend to be small things. Swinging a bench should probably do more than DM 1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 pm 

For Patience of the Lynx, it says if your opponent rolls no Successes, gain a bonus. Is this 'base' successes (meaning your opponent rolled some 7's or higher) or 'excess successes' which bypass your Defense and would become damage?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:11 am 

Going to go out on a limb here and say no successes at all. That feels right based on the way it's written. Besides a +2d bonus is a pretty big boost to give every time an opponent misses you (successes<Avoidance) in combat.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:02 am 

Conversely, it's pretty rare to not roll any successes. An enemy with an attack pool of 3 and no Attack Focus will get at least one success about 80% of the time. Most enemies have somewhere between 5-7 dice unless they're minions, who have their own way to get larger pools.

I think the intent probably is a complete whiff; it's just not a talent that's very often useful. I'd take any of the other Flower of Battle Basic Talents before I'd take Patience of the Lynx.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 am 

HeridFel wrote:
I think the intent probably is a complete whiff; it's just not a talent that's very often useful. I'd take any of the other Flower of Battle Basic Talents before I'd take Patience of the Lynx.

I like the Fighting Style and I'm trying to work it into my character, since he's definitely not a 'fencing guy' so most of the other schools are out. I agree, if it's a 'complete miss' which is rarely if ever going to happen, I'll take the other 2 which I have more control over when they are used.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:43 am 

Ack! A whole post disappeared.

A couple of points:

As is, Lynx will work great against minions.
It makes a great finishing move, since it negates the wager penalty for a lot of weapon tricks.
It's a passive ability. You don't have to be doing anything special to get it. You don't have to be in a particular stance or sacrifice a quick action. When it applies, it applies.
The circumstances are so specific, I would argue the bonus should stack with a bonus from another style utilized in the same tradition.

But if you still feel its too weak, try this in your home game:
That +2d bonus applies to damage as well as your attack.
That +2d bonus applies whenever Complications (more 1's than successes) arise, too.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 am 

Also, look at Lynx in context with Speed of the Tiger. You press your opponent to suffer a -2d penalty, which increases the chance of no successes that round. Suddenly your competent combatant goes from 6 dice to 4.

And that's not tacking into account any weapon tricks that can apply further penalties to your opponent. Remember, the bonus applies to your NEXT attack, and last time I checked Lieutenants and Minions go AFTER the heroes in Initiative.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 am 

You bring up fair and valid points. It's not as bad as it initially seemed. My character is going for the bonus to Unarmed DM first most likely and then possibly either of the other two depending how things in the campaign look.

Thanks,
John

Offline Profile