Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Character Creation Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:19 am 

Since I've only run WH thus far, I was taking a look at the character creation rules the other way. I could use a little clarification to make sure I'm doing it right when it comes to skills. Your Background gives you X amount of skills automatically, and if elective skills are in the same category, you can use them to increase those skills up to a maximum level of your associated attribute? What if your Catalyst or Order further increases a skill? Or do you wait to purchase Electives after applying the other steps?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Character Creation Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am 

It may be best to save your elective choices until near the end for character creation as nothing allows you to outpace the Attribute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:46 am 

Thanks! That answered my question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:41 am 

Since Speak Language has its own unique quirks, is it still capped by its tied Ability (Reason) for purchasing a new Language? If so, does Literacy affect the total points you can spend? (My guess for the former is could go either way, for the latter--probably not as it doesn't actually increase the numerical value of the skill).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:45 am 

To clarify, what happens if a skill goes beyond its ability during character generation but before you advance the ability? Do you hold it in reserve until advancement if you then raise the ability?

So say you have Strength of 2 but between background, order, and catalyst you get Melee 3 background skills. Does it stay 2 but with potential of 3 when you increase strength at advancement to 3 then you get the full thing? I'm asking because you don't can't always line up some common background skills to stay below a stat until you can raise it.

Thanks

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 am 

I think Speak Language is intended to be an exception for maximum skill level, since Reason 2 is average and Speak Language 3 is "native language" level of competence. It'd be pretty strange if you had to be above-average in Reason to have a native language.

If it isn't an exception, that's fine by me - it means that I get back an extra skill level or two to use on more languages.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:29 pm 

CBlome wrote:
It may be best to save your elective choices until near the end for character creation as nothing allows you to outpace the Attribute.

In the skills section, I read it to be that you couldn't roll more skill dice than the attribute. Since some skills have multiple attributes and some can be rolled with different attributes, that it was the rolling where it capped.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:43 pm 

HeridFel wrote:
I think Speak Language is intended to be an exception for maximum skill level, since Reason 2 is average and Speak Language 3 is "native language" level of competence. It'd be pretty strange if you had to be above-average in Reason to have a native language.

I believe this is true barring any note from Eric.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
To clarify, what happens if a skill goes beyond its ability during character generation but before you advance the ability? Do you hold it in reserve until advancement if you then raise the ability?

So say you have Strength of 2 but between background, order, and catalyst you get Melee 3 background skills. Does it stay 2 but with potential of 3 when you increase strength at advancement to 3 then you get the full thing? I'm asking because you don't can't always line up some common background skills to stay below a stat until you can raise it.

Thanks

John

Basically, yes you can have the skill set to 5, but you only benefit from it with dice equal to the corresponding Attribute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:49 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
In the skills section, I read it to be that you couldn't roll more skill dice than the attribute. Since some skills have multiple attributes and some can be rolled with different attributes, that it was the rolling where it capped.

John

TO be more specific, it looks like the rule is that regardless what Attribute you are using, you will not benefit from more dice than that attritbute.

Example: You need to make a roll of Education and Melee (You are looking for the history of a certain weapon you have found) You Have Melee 3 but Education 2. You would roll 4 dice due to the limitation of using Education.

As always, Eric's rules clarification supersede mine.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next