Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moar Roolz Questions!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:37 pm 

Some rules questions and requests for clarification.

#1. p. 183 Discusses order which ties are broken when rolling for initiative. Masterminds are not mentioned, do are they the top of the heap?

#2. p100 advancement. Are Magical skills considered Elective skills?

#3. Is there are difference between skill focus and specializations? the two are used inter changeably.

#4. Two Weapon Fighting p.188 What is the difference in damage output with the rule as written and just using both quick actions to attack with one weapon?

#5. On the surface (and at least up front) a character who doesn't take fighting traditions seems to be a better combatant than someone who does invest in a fighting tradition. Is this the case over the long haul? Am I missing something?

#6. P.100 Rites costs 50 xp regardless of whether they are Greater or Heroic ?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Moar Roolz Questions!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm 

1) Masterminds are the upper tier of Villain, so use that.

2) Unless some aspect of character creation gives you points in it, yes. It can always be made a background skill with the Skilled Talent

3) I don't think so

4) You cannot take the same Quick Action twice, so you cannot attack twice in one round (normally). The penalty to hit is greater with two weapon attack but have the option of quite a bit more damage.

5) By base numbers its possible to be greater fighter by not choosing one. However, if you want to be a fighter with flair, or one with other options that you can't get otherwise, take the Fighting School.

6) Correct

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 pm 

Clint has it mostly.

3) A Skill Focus is a way to use a Skill that has its own in game definitions. Specialization makes you better at using that Focus.

5) Expounding: Lets say you wanted to maximize the dice you are rolling. Once you have the Ability at 5 and the Skill at 5, further increases in the dice pool are really a poor investment. Also, you have the ability to stab (or shoot, bash, slice, whatever) - and basically that's it. I feel the fun (and versatile power) is found in the Weapon Tricks and Fighting Styles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
Clint has it mostly.

3) A Skill Focus is a way to use a Skill that has its own in game definitions. Specialization makes you better at using that Focus.

5) Expounding: Lets say you wanted to maximize the dice you are rolling. Once you have the Ability at 5 and the Skill at 5, further increases in the dice pool are really a poor investment. Also, you have the ability to stab (or shoot, bash, slice, whatever) - and basically that's it. I feel the fun (and versatile power) is found in the Weapon Tricks and Fighting Styles.

I did a search for "Specialization" in the pdf . I think I would advise changing some of the language around "Foci" and "Specialization" as they are confusing. Especially someone like myself who is new to Witch Hunter. I would drop the word "focus" or "foci" it's unnecessary and makes understanding the rules more difficult

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 pm 

Foci and Specialization are new to this edition. In the previous edition, every single one of those Foci would be its own skill, and your SPs would be dispersed into minute applications.

The use of the 2 terms is intended to separate rules concepts. One is the particular use of the skill (the Focus) and the other a greater capability when using that Focus (Specialization). They require distinct terms.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

I have a question on Skills and foci.

If I take Courtier it grants me Charm (Deceive, Gossip, and Persuade) 1. Does that mean I get 1 rank in charm and a focus in each? Or do I 3 ranks and a focus in each?

Apostles of the New Dawn receive Scholarship (Theology) 2. Does that mean I get 2 ranks in Scholarship and a focus in Theology?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:50 pm 

Courtier gives you Charm at 1 with all three Specializations

Apostles give you 2 ranks in Scholarship and a focus in Theology

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:30 pm 

K. I get the jist of it then.

Offline Profile