Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weapon Trick Requirements
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 pm 

Are the Required ranks in the appropriate skill to perform a weapon trick supposed to be 1,3,5 or 1,2,3? (The text on page 155 says 1,3,3. And that can't be right.)

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Weapon Trick Requirements
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 pm 

This is a question I have as well. Then you have the Weapon Mastery Talents on p.132 which say that you need them to perform Weapon Tricks. However on Page 155 it doesn't even mention these Talents instead saying that the only prerequisite are the appropriate skill ranks. I also noticed the the Weapon Mastery Talents are absent from Tables 2-17, 2-18, & 2-19

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 pm 

Should be 1 / 3 / 5

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
Should be 1 / 3 / 5

Do we need the Weapon Mastery Talents as well? Because they are not mentioned on p.155 as being needed.

If it matters at all :) my preference would be for them to be dumped

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:01 pm 

Gundark wrote:
PCI Eric wrote:
Should be 1 / 3 / 5

Do we need the Weapon Mastery Talents as well? Because they are not mentioned on p.155 as being needed.

It depends on how you define "mastery". I like the idea of a talent that makes you better at tricks.

If I was going to house rule something, I'd probably go with something like "having mastery lets you perform a Complex trick as a Quick action", or "reduce the wager by -1d." Either one would be a pretty cool bump.

Alternatively, I think you could drop Weapon Tricks altogether and just take cue from 7th Sea: for each die you Wager, you can raise your damage by +1d. But that's a pretty extreme reaction to a new game feature my players haven't put through the paces yet.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Gundark wrote:
PCI Eric wrote:
Should be 1 / 3 / 5

It depends on how you define "mastery". I like the idea of a talent that makes you better at tricks.

If I was going to house rule something, I'd probably go with something like "having mastery lets you perform a Complex trick as a Quick action", or "reduce the wager by -1d." Either one would be a pretty cool bump.

Alternatively, I think you could drop Weapon Tricks altogether and just take cue from 7th Sea: for each die you Wager, you can raise your damage by +1d. But that's a pretty extreme reaction to a new game feature my players haven't put through the paces yet.

Tom

I like the idea of Mastery Talents making tricks easier to do, like reducing the wager or something. I don't like needing the talents to do the trick in the first place. It leads to these specialized builds where they won't touch another weapon. For me it seems to break the swashbuckling feel to have these highly specialized character builds. If a character gets disarmed and their ally throws them a dagger, it would be cool to be able to do tricks with that dagger. It also creates these "must have" talents that makes certain characters feel "samey" and discourages people from branching out.

Long story short I prefer the 1/3/5 requirement for tricks

Offline Profile