Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Bludgeoning Strike... am I reading it right?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:23 pm 

OH! I see. I think it is suppose to do convert slashing or piercing to bludgeoning damage. I think you are right and it needs an errata.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm 

deviknyte wrote:
OH! I see. I think it is suppose to do convert slashing or piercing to bludgeoning damage. I think you are right and it needs an errata.

No it's supposed to make Stunning Strike (another Weapon Trick) easier to do. That by itself isn't a bad thing. The problem is, is that it's a basic trick for a majority of the melee of weapons, so a starting character should be able to use it off the hop. The problem is that it requires you to take all these extra talents AND be geared in a specific way(hence my "tax" complaint).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:43 pm 

It goes not require you to own some other weapon. Please stop saying that.

You can use a weapon with the Bludgeoning Strike Trick to perform the Stunning Strike trick, it is just worded poorly.

There will be errata when there is actually a book and a final PDF, which will be in a couple of weeks when we get the thing back from our printer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:

I apologize if it came off like I'm beating a dead horse, nor was I trying to antagonize anyone. I just felt that people weren't understanding my initial comments and I felt the need to clarify my initial stance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:16 pm 

Gundark wrote:
PCI Eric wrote:

I apologize if it came off like I'm beating a dead horse, nor was I trying to antagonize anyone. I just felt that people weren't understanding my initial comments and I felt the need to clarify my initial stance.

No problem, my big concern was somebody coming into the forums later and thinking the same thing - and then seeing posts that confirm it. We had it happen back in the Living Arcanis days where the discussion (on an email server) saw our answers lost in the shuffle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:33 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
You can use a weapon with the Bludgeoning Strike Trick to perform the Stunning Strike trick, it is just worded poorly.
Is that all it is used for, or is Bludgeoning Strike suppose to do something (deal bludgeoning damage)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:56 pm 

Maybe it's me, but I don't get what the issue is with this Trick.

For no Wager and Weapon Damage penalty of -1, you deal bludgeoning damage instead of whatever damage the weapon usually does (I'm guessing slashing or piercing). Sure there's a small typo that doesn't say "Bludgeoning damage" but it's strongly implied and I'm sure that's what it is.

IN ADDITION to this versatility, if you also possess Stunning Strike from another weapon, you can use it with the weapon that has Bludgeoning Strike.

I don't see the problem.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:59 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Maybe it's me, but I don't get what the issue is with this Trick.

I get it. It's one of those nitpicky rules that normally I'd prefer to leave to GM's discretion. "You want to do sundual damage with your weapon? No problem." One of the things that gets me about WH2 is how much chunkier it is than WH1. But you know, I'll give it a shot. But regardless, it needs to be errata-ed. Let's let time and play decide what weight to give it.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:25 pm 

It's a pretty standard effect in Arcanis, so maybe that's why I don't find it confusing. Other than the addition of "Bludgeoning" before damage in the Effect, I think it makes complete sense as written. It's basically giving you a free Trick (Stunning Strike) for your Bludgeoning Strike weapons if you also have that Trick (Stunning Strike) with another weapon. It's like Adapt Weapon Trick from Arcanis.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:18 pm 

Yeah, I'm coming from a more rules lite background. I love that WH gives me a lot of what I love about 7th Sea. So I chafe a bit at some of the more rules heavy elements. I've spent the last decade playing Savage Worlds and have been looking forward to getting back to basics. But I'm not going disparage or write off those elements until we put them through their paces. I didn't play a lot of WH1 and we just got rolling with the new edition.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next