Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Villianous Rites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 am 

Hello. Villianous Rites have a Damnation score associated with them. According to Page 160, this is the damnation penalty associated with casting the Rite. I assume that this means that the caster's damnation score goes up by this much when casting.

So, two questions... 1. Is that correct? (That the caster's damnation increases by casting the Rite?) 2. Why are there two numbers? (they are separated by a slash. What does the 2nd number mean?)

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Villianous Rites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

Bump?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 am 

Ah! I think I see the confusion here. Here is the relevant passage from the 1st ed book:

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World 1st edition, pg 121 wrote:
These rites will have an entry called Damnation followed by two numbers separated by a slash (/), such as 2/4. The first number signifies the amount of Damnation the caster (including all involved in assisting the caster) receives when attempting the rite. The second is the maximum Damnation score the caster must have before he no longer receives Damnation points from enacting this rite.

Example: Ethan Marshall, the Diabolist enacts the rite of ‘Limned in Fire’. This rite has a Damnation score of 2/4, meaning that Ethan gains 2 points of Damnation each time he enacts this rite until his Damnation score is 4 or greater. At that time, he no longer gains any more Damnation points from enacting this rite.

Not sure why this got cut from the 2nd ed book. Maybe it didn't, but it was certainly moved. Either way, I hope it answers your question.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:47 am 

Ah! Good find. Thank you. (I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look at the 1st. Ed. book as a reference.)

So I guess the question needs to be changed to, "Does that rule still apply in the 2nd Ed.?"

(Although that's a lot less important to me than the original question. I can still accurately run encounters not knowing whether or not I'll need to care about the bad guy's total damnation score.)

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 pm 

I don't see why it wouldn't. I checked the rites before I posted and the Damnation scores are identical. Though, to be honest with you, for a villain I wouldn't care one bit. I'd either ignore it or give them a damnation score equal to the most demanding rite. I have enough things to manage without tracking one more resource. This is one of the reasons I love, love, LOVE that they turned some of these rites into Threat Powers. That's a trend I'd love to see continued in Rites/Relics and GToA2. I understand wanting to have a standard rite profile, because there is no reason some unscrupulous player couldn't meddle with these things. But when it comes to villains, do I really care about what additional damnation they accrue in play? Just give me a shorthand for the effect so I can get back to the game.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 pm 

The reason for the cap that it would grant you is that monsters in the previous campaign got bonuses from their damnation score. And a villain could potentially just keep casting the same Scry spell and hit you for 100 damage when you walk in the room with their damnation dealing knife.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

I suspect/hope that villains will be capped at Damnation 10, same as PCs.

Offline Profile