Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hellfire...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 am 

Unless I missed a clarification somewhere (maybe in Rites and Relics?), I find Hellfire to be an irritatingly vague power. It's sort of a catch all "do what you want" sort of power, which would be fine except that 80% of the stat blocks I've seen it in simple say: "hellfire" with no further guidance whatsoever. So until something more official comes along, here's my stab at fix.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hellfire...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:58 am 

I like it and am porting this into my games . . . Thanks again, Tom :) You are a true bright campfire in the Witch Hunter community! Keep these ideas and comments coming :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hellfire...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:52 pm 

Oops! Made a slight correction to the power description after building and testing my Hellfire macro on Roll20:

Quote:
Each success rolled negates one die from the damage roll. Armor offers no protection against Hellfire. If the target suffers any damage from the attack, she catches "fire" and suffers ongoing damage each round thereafter.

I figured that was fair since hellfire can set nearly anything aflame.

Part of me wants to simplify it further and take away the damage roll altogether. Thus, the villain would roll his hellfire power and lose 1 success for every success the target rolls on his/her True Faith roll. Any remaining successes are damage. That would bring it more in line with 1st edition. I'll test this version out soon enough and see how it goes.

jscifert wrote:
I like it and am porting this into my games . . . Thanks again, Tom :) You are a true bright campfire in the Witch Hunter community! Keep these ideas and comments coming :)

Thanks, Jay. I'm just trying to keep things running smoothly for my players. I'm really surprised there hasn't been some form of clarification on this already. Makes me wonder if I'm missing some wellspring of WH discussion out there in some forlorn corner of the net. ;)

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile