Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can I use 1st edition products with 2nd edition?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 pm 

Can I use 1st edition products like splatbook Talents/Spells/Rites with 2nd edition?

What about the adversaries from the 1st edition book of adversaries?

A detailed answer would be appreciated, if there are specific things i need to change in between editions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Can I use 1st edition products with 2nd edition?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:17 am 

You can with a bit of conversion work.

I can't really give you a detailed answer as it will be different with each Talent/Rite/Monster.

The good news, is that we are converting nearly 100% of 1st ed. content to 2nd ed. (we're getting close already, I'm already working on one of the books after GToA).

The biggest thing to remember when converting anything is that defenses work differently. No more defense pool.

Overall it wouldn't be hard to do, and there are people here on the board willing to help you if you need to convert something. It's just that we can't really give you an idea of what will need upgraded except on a case by case basis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 am 

Yeah, Clint would know. There's no exact science to converting between the two editions. So if you're looking to stock up on 1st ed talents and rites for your WHR character you are out of luck for the time being.

However...if you're looking to use 1st ed material in your home game, this might be helpful. I've done a fair bit of conversion, mostly monsters and villainous talents and powers. These are some of my more general notes. Hopefully they'll be helpful until more older material is converted.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:28 pm 

Blu is a really good resource for this kind of stuff on the boards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 pm 

Thanks for the replies folks!

After browsing over the talents and styles, I really don't think there should be a problem with conversion, as they are not complicated at all. Rites could be different though, as well as adversaries. But I am an old hand at d20 and D&D4e and also 5e, so I don't think I should have issues converting for myself or my players.

Still, I want to be sure before I splurge money for the 1st edition pdfs. Incidentally, which 1st edition books do you recommend for talents and fighting styles for PCs? They only need to be available on Drivethru, and I think all 1e books are available there.

Second, is there anyway the kickstarter only pdfs for 2nd edition will be available on Drivethru or here? (like Rites and Relics?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 pm 

Hello,

Before you purchase the 1st Edition books, you may want to wait a couple of days.

The Grand Tome of adversaries 2nd Edition will be launching soon and one of the Add Ons are the 2nd Edition PDFs, like Rites and Relics.

This KS also has a Stretch Goal to convert the Aztec Empire sourcebook to 2nd edition as well, so with the exception of the Orders of Solomon book, everything will be converted to 2nd edition within a few months.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:52 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
This KS also has a Stretch Goal to convert the Aztec Empire sourcebook to 2nd edition as well, so with the exception of the Orders of Solomon book, everything will be converted to 2nd edition within a few months.

Henry, this probably isn't the thread to discuss it on, but I for one feel about half of the Orders of Solomon book really belongs in B&D. OoS always felt like it was billed as a player book, but that player friendly stuff was mixed in with a healthy dose of great dark secret stuff that should never be seen by anyone but the GM. It would be great to see that great stuff broken off into a GM-centric book, so players could enjoy some of the solid organization and history stuff.

Just my 2¢.

Looking forward to the kickstarter!

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:03 pm 

Orders was more like what Blessed & the Damned should have been. Blessed & the Damned was supposed to feature lots of both WH and GM material.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
Orders was more like what Blessed & the Damned should have been. Blessed & the Damned was supposed to feature lots of both WH and GM material.

I can see that. The problem with OoS was there was no wall of separation between GM info and Player info. The player who reads the section on his or her order is going to get an eye-full — a lot more than I would want as a GM. From the beginning, I told my players to stay away from it, parcelling it out myself bit by bit as necessary. The organization and history is pure gold, and I've made use of it in my game. But some of the secrets are really tough to walk back if you DON'T want to include them.

Personally, I still hold out hope that the economics of the WH2 line can bare both a Player and GM companion, because for the latter there are still a bunch of holes that need to be plugged. But given the OP-centric audience, I can see where that might be a tough sell. I have a few ideas, though. :)

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:21 pm 

Grand Tome provides much of the needed expansion for Grand Masters.

The concept currently burning in my brain is:

Orders of Solomon as a WH's Guide with some segregate GM knowledge
Blessed & the Damned as a total game expansion with distinct WH/GM sections

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next