Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grab bag of questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:50 pm 

Our group has been playing Witch hunter now for 3 months or so about once a week. Now that we all have gotten into the setting and the rules, the book seems very vague and not clear in it's intent. So had a few Questions...

Magic/Fighting Traditions
Reviewing the Magical Traditions it makes it seem as if you need spend 50 SP on Basic XXXX (Hermeticism,Animism/etc)& an additional 50 SP to get your first rite.

Fighting Tradition reads similar that you would need 100 SP just to get the first talent.

Hero Point Expenditure to emulate a talent - can you emulate a Fighting Talent you do not possess but qualify for? ie if you possess 2 basic in The First Circle could you use Circle of Blood for one action?

Speaking of Circle of Blood, is this talent useful against Minions since you do not technically roll damage against a minion?

Minions - Threat level x Minion attacking character = dice pool to attack. Easy enough. However it is unclear if the Minions each get a roll or if one roll for all minions is used. Example a group of 3 Threat level 2 minions is attack the Stalwart. Would the GM roll a single attack at 6 dice or 3 attacks at 6 dice?

Just a few off the top of my head, thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Grab bag of questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:23 pm 

OrionTheBold wrote:
Our group has been playing Witch hunter now for 3 months or so about once a week.

Woohoo!! Another home game GM! It gets so lonely around here.

Quote:
Now that we all have gotten into the setting and the rules, the book seems very vague and not clear in it's intent. So had a few Questions...

Happy to give them a shot.

Quote:
Magic/Fighting Traditions
Reviewing the Magical Traditions it makes it seem as if you need spend 50 SP on Basic XXXX (Hermeticism,Animism/etc)& an additional 50 SP to get your first rite.

Yes. 100 SP total. 150 if you are looking to get Prayer (extra 50 for the Pious talent).

Quote:
Fighting Tradition reads similar that you would need 100 SP just to get the first talent.

No. The Fighting Tradition talent gives you the fighting style of that rank for free. So 50 SP gets you access to one School as well as one Basic Fighting Style.

However, Rites only cost 50 SP apiece thereafter, regardless of the rank. Fighting styles are not that cheap. This is a "game balance" issue, and I'm not sure how well that shakes out over the long haul. I'm from that weird school of thought that eldritch sorcery should be harder to master than swinging a sword.

Quote:
Hero Point Expenditure to emulate a talent - can you emulate a Fighting Talent you do not possess but qualify for? ie if you possess 2 basic in The First Circle could you use Circle of Blood for one action?

I would say that's a GM call. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I feel the emulate talent feature is really the only true perk of hero points in the RAW. I WOULD probably rule that unless you have the Basic Tradition talent than ALL styles are off limits to you. I would also rule that this flexibility does not apply to Rites (see my logic on swords v sorcery above).

Quote:
Speaking of Circle of Blood, is this talent useful against Minions since you do not technically roll damage against a minion?

It isn't useful, no. You can already attack multiple minions without the 3d wager. If you want, a nice little house rule might be that when used against a group of minions, you could allow the swordsman to reroll any ones—or, if you really want to be generous (they are minions, after all), any dice results less than his or her weapon skill rank. Hmmm...I may have to do that myself.

BTW, this will be less egregious when the material from the Blessed and the Damned gets upgraded, as that will add more options to the fighting traditions. Ditto with Sorcery. Right now, I'd steer the player towards Strike of Precision first. One of my players has The True Skill as well, and I've been planning to upgrade the styles from that school myself until something official is released. If you'd like, I'd be happy to collaborate or share.

Quote:
Minions - Threat level x Minion attacking character = dice pool to attack. Easy enough. However it is unclear if the Minions each get a roll or if one roll for all minions is used. Example a group of 3 Threat level 2 minions is attack the Stalwart. Would the GM roll a single attack at 6 dice or 3 attacks at 6 dice?

Minions get one roll for all the minions in a group. So a band of 3 Threat 2 minions would roll 6 dice, plus any attack/damage bonus dice (so probably 7 or 8 dice total) once against single character.

Hope this helps. Shoot back if you have any more questions.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

It isn't useful, no. You can already attack multiple minions without the 3d wager. If you want, a nice little house rule might be that when used against a group of minions, you could allow the swordsman to reroll any ones—or, if you really want to be generous (they are minions, after all), any dice results less than his or her weapon skill rank. Hmmm...I may have to do that myself.

The more I think about it, here is what I would do:

"Against minions, a swordsman with this fighting style may reroll any dice results of 3 or less. The second roll stands; no further rerolls are permitted."

That might actually make the 3d wager worth it.

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:13 pm 

Thanks Tom.

Offline Profile