Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rite Action Categories
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 am 

Just wrapped up a pretty epic battle for the soul of Strasbourg; a cadre of 6 witch hunters up against three Dark Coven witches, a score of minions and two hate monger demons. At stake was the eruption of a whole nest of hate mongers that would have spewed out into the world, leaving Strasbourg and likely a large swath of France and the Holy Roman Empire a blackened shell in their wake. But through teamwork and some creative thinking, the witch hunters put an end to that threat and received their just rewards.

And in the midst of all that, I get the question: "hey, what type of action are my prayer rites?"

WH2 rulebook, pg 188 wrote:
Cast a Rite - Each Rite description will note which category the casting entails. There are no free action Rites, but Trivial, Quick and Complex Actions are all represented. In no case will a character be able to cast more than one Rite in a round without a special ability such as a Talent or Order ability.

But beyond this, theres nothing about what categories the individual rites fall into. Currently, I've simply ruled at enacting a rite is a complex action, while Enacting a prepared hermetic rite is a quick action. But this is just a placeholder until there is a more official ruling.

Are these going to be covered in errata? Or R&R? Any chance we can get a preview? Eric?

Thanks!
Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rite Action Categories
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 am 

Quick unless otherwise noted. Obviously, something that takes rounds of prep is not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 am 

Hello Tom,

That sounds like a pretty epic battle and I bet your players had a blast.

Did you write this up, by chance? Maybe you could turn it into a one or two part adventure for the living campaign so others can enjoy it as well.

If interested, please contact me (PCIHenry@gmail.com) or Clint Blome.

Thanks for sharing!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Did you write this up, by chance? Maybe you could turn it into a one or two part adventure for the living campaign so others can enjoy it as well.

If interested, please contact me (PCIHenry@gmail.com) or Clint Blome.

Thanks, Henry. Actually, I do have a lot of it written up. But I just don't have the time to turn those notes into a polished scenario. As it is, I'm probably already on Clint's irritated list for adventure proposals that never materialized. :P

Now maybe if someone was interested in being a co-writer...but with my schedule the way it is these days, I just can't commit to it.

One day, though...I still have all my outlines and a mother of a trilogy set aside for you guys.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:26 am 

PCI Eric wrote:
Quick unless otherwise noted. Obviously, something that takes rounds of prep is not.

Ok, so looking at Judgement, which has been getting a lot of use in our game (and looks like we've been doing it wrong too). It has a Time of None (prep) and 3 rounds (casting). So the casting actions would be Quick, allowing the caster to move around or even attack while casting the rite?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 am 

Blusponge wrote:
PCI Eric wrote:

Ok, so looking at Judgement, which has been getting a lot of use in our game (and looks like we've been doing it wrong too). It has a Time of None (prep) and 3 rounds (casting). So the casting actions would be Quick, allowing the caster to move around or even attack while casting the rite?

It is taking rounds, it will be Complex. I will put together the whole list from the book and publish it on the site, and include the material in R&R as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
I will put together the whole list from the book and publish it on the site, and include the material in R&R as well.

Cool! That would be fantastic! Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 am 

Any updates on this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 pm 

Eric has been busy working on Rites & Relics, so I expect that has delayed this :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:54 pm 

From R&R (in edit):

Quote:
Time: Amount of preparation time required before a rite may be attempted/number of turns, minutes, or hours that must be spent, uninterrupted, performing the rite. The preparation of the rite must immediately be followed by the performance of the rite, unless otherwise stated. The exception to this rule is Hermetic Magic which allows the practitioner to prepare a rite in advance of enacting it (see WH2E Page 167). Any preparation time reflected in turns is a Quick Magical Action each turn.
Defense: If it is an attack, the defense targeted will be listed. Any Rite listing an Attack is also a Magical Attack Action.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next