Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Firearms?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 am 

Just curious were flintlocks that commonly used during the 1680s? I would have thought that matchlocks and wheel locks would have been more prevalent.

Double barreled pistols? Is there a mechanic we should be using with regard to these weapons if we wish to bring them in as well as dual wielding pistols? I may have missed it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Firearms?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:39 pm 

LordRaptor wrote:
Just curious were flintlocks that commonly used during the 1680s? I would have thought that matchlocks and wheel locks would have been more prevalent.

Looking at the rulebook, there is really no distinction within the entries for muskets or pistols. So while there are differences between flintlocks, wheel locks and matchlocks, I think I would just hand wave that or leave it up to personal character flavor. A Stalker from some remote location of Europe might still employ a flintlock weapon, while a Lightbringer from Italy would certainly use the most current technology.

Of course, if you wanted to create different weapons groups for these, I'm sure plenty of us would be interested in seeing what you come up with. :)

Quote:
Double barreled pistols? Is there a mechanic we should be using with regard to these weapons if we wish to bring them in as well as dual wielding pistols? I may have missed it.

Hmm...double barrel pistols were in the old edition of the game. Here's the relevant info:

Pistol, double barrel
Price: £27 (approx. 540 RP)
Complexity: 1
DM: +2
Range: 3/6/12/24
Size: Medium
Reload: 2 per barrel (4)
Toughness: 1
Weight: 10 lb.

This weapon features two barrels, either side-by-side or over under, essentially allowing you to fire twice without having to reload. You can fire both barrels in the same Action, increasing the DM to +7, but the Complexity worsens to –2. The reload time is per barrel.

If it were my game, I would check this against the two weapon fighting rules as a baseline.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Firearms?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:33 am 

Flintlocks came about more than 75 years before the campaign is set, were seeing widespread cavalry use about 60 years before the campaign is set. There would still be wheellocks and matchlocks in use, but I wouldn't think the game would be enhanced by an exhaustive weapons list.

The word flintlock appears once in the book, and not in the rules section. Frankly, I think we used it because of alliteration with the word faith.

Offline Profile