Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting Faith, Damnation, Hero Points?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:44 pm 

Can't seem to find this in the text. Do they all begin at 0?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starting Faith, Damnation, Hero Points?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:19 pm 

True Faith starts at 1, 2 if you take the Pios talent.
Each session, you start with a number of hero points equal to your Trie Faith.
Characters start with no damnation unless they have a flaw that gives them a point.

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm 

Thank you very much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am 

So, I'm making a test character, and considering 1 True Faith to start, 1 Damnation (from Damned) and 1 Hero Point at the start of play, with a Vengeful Character, he will descend into Damnation very quickly if he gets into combat, which he most likely will. Depending on how a character is built is appears to be quite easy (and tempting, which I guess is the point) to create a character that will burn in the fires of hell very quickly...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:12 pm 

How quickly the character descends into the Abyss is really up to the player. Other than GM fiat, damnation is really only incurred by activating one's Vice. And since you can spend damnation just like hero points, and Vices provide nice juicy bonuses, there is always temptation. My players haven't really given into that temptation – but they are still in the investigation stage of a couple of big mysteries. Once the bodies start dropping, that may change.

One big disincentive, monsters use your damnation to activate a lot of their powers. As long as you have a point of damnation, you're a target.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:59 pm 

If it didn't pay off in the short term - nobody would get into hot water.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:32 pm 

I think we had a few GMs activating those powers whether or not anyone had Damnation. I was wondering how we ended up so beat up in a few of those fights...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
How quickly the character descends into the Abyss is really up to the player. Other than GM fiat, damnation is really only incurred by activating one's Vice.

I may need to read the book again, but I got the sense that the player does not get to choose when the Vice is activated (due to the fact that you can pay a Hero Point to stop a Vice from activating). So my hunter that is Vengeful will need to spend a Hero Point every time he strikes a fiend after it strikes him or Vengeful activates and he gains 1 Damnation...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm 

It cuts both ways.

Witch Hunter 2nd ed, pg 142 wrote:
To be clear, there are two entirely different scenarios that relate to your Vice. The first is a straight game-mechanical exchange – you activate your Vice power, gain its benefits (which usually involve manipulating a dice pool in some fashion) and also immediately gain a Damnation point. There is no other consequence and the game continues. The second is a pure role-playing scenario. If the Game Master presents you with a situation in which giving in to your character’s Vice will put you, other people (especially innocents), or the mission at risk, and the choice is significant from a story standpoint, then you are rewarded with a Hero Point for giving in to the temptation and thereby complicating the story. Giving in to your Vice has to make things tangibly worse if it is to be worthy of a Hero Point. Of course, as with so many other things in the game, what exactly constitutes “worse” is a matter to be negotiated between you and the Grand Master, but an example will hopefully clarify what we mean.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm 

I understand that passage. I'm still not clear on whether the Vengeful character get's to choose whether or not to gain the bonus, and thus the point of Damnation. The way I read it, you don't get to choose, and in fact have to pay a Hero Point if you don't want to get the bonus, and thus the Damnation.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next