PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm 

Blood Mastiffs (Minions)
Threat Rating
Hell’s Favor 1
Pace: 4
Special Attacks: Claws/Bite 4d/6d damage
Talents: Spiritual Nature
Powers:
Maddening Aura: succeed at a True Faith (Reason) roll against creatures' Hell's Favor or suffer madness. (see GToA, p 180)
Prices:
Ultimate Master: must obey a specific master.
Skills
6d Notice, Survival (Track)
4d Command (Intimidate), Melee

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Blood Mastiff Conversion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm 

I came with 2nd Edition, so I don't know what madness entails. I'm not sure about the price for that power unless there's a way for the PCs to use it in some fashion. If the mastiffs follow the order of a master and he yells "Kill them!", will the mastiffs stop if the master is defeated?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:55 pm 

HeridFel,

Here is the talent, power and price. I've made some selective edits mainly so as not to reprint straight from the book. These are rough conversions from 1st edition. I expect the stuff Clint and Eric are working on to be much more refined.

Spiritual Nature (Villainous)
Threat Talent

The creature in question dwells primarily in the Invisible World. While there, it may not interact with anything in the physical world in any fashion. Physical weapons cannot harm it. However, certain magical effects may affect the creature (a Hermetic Circle (First Circle of Binding) for example). It may be affected by any rite that might affects a spirit, such as Summoning the Unseen or other such magics.

The spirit creature may manifest in the physical world if it wishes, but once it does it may not return to the Invisible World until the next sundown. While in the physical world, it is a physical creature, subject to all of the laws of nature, harm, and magic, unless it has other abilities that protect it.

Finally, a spirit that has retreated into the Invisible World can be seen by Witch Hunters who make a True Faith (Intuition) check against a Difficulty equal to the creature’s Hell’s Favor score.

Maddening Aura (Veneficum)
Threat Power

There are never any physical signs of this aura. The exact effect will vary from creature to creature. It might manifest as insane whispering in the ear or the mind being flooded with strange images.

The aura surrounds the creature at a radius of 1,000 yards. Those within the aura must make a True Faith (Reason) check with the Difficulty being the creature’s Hell’s Favor score. Those who linger in a creature’s maddening aura, must attempt to resist its power every 12 hours (for example sun up and sun down) to resist going mad. Anyone affected by the aura who leaves it returns to normal upon the next sunrise.

Roll / Effect
succeed by 2+/immune until the next sundown.
succeed by 1 / immune for the rest of the scene.
succeed / unaffected for the round.
Failed by 1 / subject begins to have visual and auditory hallucinations, and find it difficult to tell what is real and what is not. The victim suffers -2d to all Notice and Interaction checks. This effect persists until the individual leaves the area.
Failed by 2+ / subject is completely in the throes of madness, ranting and raving, having vivid hallucinations, or even believing that they are a toad. The victim cannot contribute anything meaningful in the way of combat; all attacks made by them are ineffectual and automatically fail. Furthermore, all of the subjects Defenses are reduced to 1. All other skill roll are made at a -3d penalty.

Ultimate Master (Veneficum)
Threat Price

The creature must obey a specific master designated upon the creature’s arrival in the world. The creature must obey all of its master’s commands. Intelligent creatures are free to interpret the command. Even if the creature is unintelligent, this Price grants it the ability to follow its master’s commands. Unintelligent creatures are unable to follow complex commands, and are limited to direct orders such as, “kill him,” “wait here,” or “break down that door.”

Comment: Given the conditions of Spiritual Nature, I see two ways this could play out if/when the master is killed. 1) The spirit, having no master to command it, vanishes back into the Invisible World. 2) Bound to remain in the physical world until the next sunset, the spirit flees to wreak havoc elsewhere until its time is done. Depending on how many spirits we are talking about, this could give witch hunters an incentive to target the master last. Sometimes its better to keep the dogs on the leash!

Personally, I'll probably tweak Spiritual Nature a bit further or drop them from the final stat block, as it doesn't fit the style of encounter I am working on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm 

I'd also say that the maddening aura doesn't stack - you are in it or not. Maybe I would feel differently if they were lieutenants, but not as minions.

Looks interesting, certainly. I'm glad they aren't further favored.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm 

Oh no, I agree. Auras in General should be all or nothing. They shouldn't compound. Even with lieutenants and villains, I'd say. Especially at 1000 yards. I realize the D1 threshold is pretty insignificant, but it really fits the encounter.

Tom

Offline Profile