Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Silvered Weapons
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm 

All the points about whether or not you *should* hand out silver weapons, aside, I wanted to bring up a few points about the weapons, themselves.

So the points about the durability of such weapons has already been made. But I submit that the conversation thus far makes an assumption that the weapon is a steel weapon. That is, making knives and swords out of silver is (as the earlier poster said) very expensive and the weapons would not be durable at all. I don't know enough about metallurgy to know what would happen if one were to alloy steel and silver, so I'll leave that alone. As far as swords and daggers are concerned, I think that fuller grooves filled in with silver would be the only feasible way to take an existing blade and "silver" it. (aside from the technologically advanced electroplating.) And I think that doing so would certainly not be very durable. Hence the rules that you've already come up with.

But what about other weapons? a Mace, for example. I could certainly see silver "spikes" screwed into a sturdy wooden ball at the end of a stick or chain. Now you have a fairly sturdy silver mace or morning star. Or just about any bludgeoning weapon could be tipped or capped in a silver sheath. Durability would vary, but would almost certainly be better than on a sword. (Whether or not a bludgeoning silver weapon would have any additional effect on a traditional werewolf is for another discussion.) Also, silver arrowheads or bullets would work, since they only need to be used once.

So there's something else to think about. In a nutshell, I'd make each weapon unique, so to speak. "Your silver weapon has these qualities and your silver weapon has these. Why are they different? Well, they're different weapons made by different silver/weapon smiths. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get less that you anticipated." I think that not knowing when your custom weapon might break down might just add to the suspense if done properly.

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Silvered Weapons
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:29 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
But what about other weapons? a Mace, for example. I could certainly see silver "spikes" screwed into a sturdy wooden ball at the end of a stick or chain. Now you have a fairly sturdy silver mace or morning star. Or just about any bludgeoning weapon could be tipped or capped in a silver sheath. Durability would vary, but would almost certainly be better than on a sword. (Whether or not a bludgeoning silver weapon would have any additional effect on a traditional werewolf is for another discussion.) Also, silver arrowheads or bullets would work, since they only need to be used once.

Actually, I think the basic foundation works fine for all of these. That is, x3 base weapon cost, 1 week to construct.

I think you could also apply the Flaws to a mace, morningstar, or flail. Because the underlying issue is the structure of the weapon is flawed somehow. The 1 pt drop in Toughness is not meant to dissuade buyers. You can paint the scene however you choose. And I wouldn't worry about it for arrows (unless it becomes an issue for recovery).

Quote:
So there's something else to think about. In a nutshell, I'd make each weapon unique, so to speak. "Your silver weapon has these qualities and your silver weapon has these. Why are they different? Well, they're different weapons made by different silver/weapon smiths. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get less that you anticipated." I think that not knowing when your custom weapon might break down might just add to the suspense if done properly.

You could easily do this too. The crux of the idea here is that these weapons are NOT readily available. They have to be commissioned. No doubt, some players may want to seek out superior, named craftsmen to do the work. That adds flavor to the game that I'm all in favor of. In fact, I may just draw up a few names to add to my Strasbourg file in case that becomes an issues. Better craftsmanship = higher cost and vice versa. But how much detail do any of us really need on this topic? I started out just trying to get an idea of price and how long it should take to make the thing. Everything else is gravy.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2