Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Weapon Features
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:38 pm 

A few more things I'm working on...

Conceal (New Quality)
This item may be concealed until drawn. When hiding this weapon, the wielder receives a Subterfuge bonus equal to its value.

Impale (New Trick)
Action: Complex
Range: Melee
Wager: 2d
Effect: +2d damage; If you hit, the weapon deals damage as usual and the target is pinned to the end of the weapon. Every round the target remains impaled, it automatically suffers the weapon’s DM (armor does not reduce this). The target may use a Quick Move Action to pull itself free, but suffers the weapon’s DM in so doing.
Additional Wager: Increase the Range of this trick by 1 Area for +1d wager.

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Weapon Features
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:00 pm 

Change, "Quick move action" to pull yourself free to a, "quick action". Since you can't perform the same kind of action twice in one round, making it a quick move action prevents the target from moving during the round that he pulls himself free.

In addition, when I compare this trick to Pinning Shot, I see that Pinning Shot costs an additional 1d of Wager and has a significantly less threatening mechanic. Thus I'd tend to think that this trick might be unbalanced. Perhaps remove the additional +2d of damage from the initial hit?

(On a side note, I see that Pinning shot states, "quick move action" to pull free. So perhaps my original comment may be unnecessary.)

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
Change, "Quick move action" to pull yourself free to a, "quick action". Since you can't perform the same kind of action twice in one round, making it a quick move action prevents the target from moving during the round that he pulls himself free.

The way I envision it, pulling yourself off the spike *IS* your move. Plus, that still leave you another Quick Action (an attack, for instance). It basically takes your trivial Incidental Move and makes it a Quick Action.

Quote:
In addition, when I compare this trick to Pinning Shot, I see that Pinning Shot costs an additional 1d of Wager and has a significantly less threatening mechanic. Thus I'd tend to think that this trick might be unbalanced. Perhaps remove the additional +2d of damage from the initial hit?

By way of comparison, does it help if Impale is a Heroic Talent rather than a Greater Talent as Pinning Shot generally is.

Otherwise, I'm happy to do it. The damage bonus fits thematically, but it isn't the core of the trick. I'm not opposed to bumping it up to a 3d Wager either, though I'm a bit leery of making it impossible to pull off.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm 

I high wager isn't as big of a penalty as a high difficulty. It is possible to hit D5 with only 1d (I've seen it happen in Vampire).

At Heroic, I would expect the PC has 7-8 die to roll (possibly 11-12 pool, depending on other choices).

Last bumped by Blusponge on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm.

Offline Profile