Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: True Faith Rewards
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 am 

In another thread, Clint mentioned at, as far as the Revelations campaign goes, there would be in-game opportunities for players to gain True Faith. This in addition to the 10:1 hero point cost presented in the rules. Personally, I like this idea and hope to include some appropriate challenges (sparingly) for the resident prayer sorcerer.

So what are some good character challenges that might be worth a True Faith reward? I'm going to puzzle some out myself and try to post them here tomorrow, but in the meantime I want to here other GM's thoughts on this.

Go!

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: True Faith Rewards
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 am 

It needs to be something that reaffrims that PCs belief in the divine or the intrinsic goodness associated with it. These can be things from witnessing blatantly divine acts and/or creatures (angels!) to a deeply personal revelation to the character itself. Its hard to describe what these could be as it will different for every PC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 pm 

CBlome wrote:
Its hard to describe what these could be as it will different for every PC.

Sure. And that's why, difficult as it may be, I wanted to start a discussion thread on it. To get some ideas rolling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

CBlome wrote:
Its hard to describe what these could be as it will different for every PC.
And that's what I loved about playing in the WH campaign. Campaign actually cares who your character is personally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 pm 

I think that one reasonably generic method would be to give the characters an opportunity to make a sacrifice. (By definition, "opportunity" means chance, not requirement.) So, if the characters were in a situation where they (possibly one of them, possibly more) could see how giving up something of great value to them would benefit someone else without benefiting themselves at all, would they make the sacrifice?

ex: They just found a valuable relic which would help them fight the adversary by... making holy water. Then they see that Fr. Thomas, who runs a little church that is in danger of being forcefully closed down because he's seen as a fraud. The PCs could do something to help Fr. Thomas, but one PC realizes that by giving him the relic, Fr. Thomas will be able to show his flock that he can protect them from the adversary. So he gives away the valuable relic, to his own detriment, in order to help the priest and his parishioners.

Okay.... It's a bit of a weak example. But I think it still makes the point.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm 

Yeah, I thought some sort of Sacrifice would be a no brainer. I've been poking around online looking at broad concepts and, as predicted, its devilishly (pun intended) difficult to turn these into anything resembling quantifiable challenges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:30 pm 

CBlome wrote:
These can be things from witnessing blatantly divine acts and/or creatures (angels!) to a deeply personal revelation to the character itself.

The problem with the former is that its passive. Character sees an angel. Cha-ching. Instant true faith. These are people who are exposed to the supernatural on a daily basis. I don't mean to sound jaded (maybe I've been watching too much Supernatural), but that doesn't strike me as particularly reaffirming or worthy of divine reward.

The second, I think, is the better route, but much harder to box in – especially in terms of Organized Play. There has to be an ACTION on part of the character (or the player). A test of faith should not be something a character can coast through. And that is what we are talking about here to some degree: tests of faith. And since these tend to be deeply personal, it really hard to put them into game terms without either offending someone or making it a yes or no equation.

Hmmm...

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm 

Here's something that might be able to be pulled off, once. (After that, it becomes obvious.) PCs travel to the invisible world, or maybe this is a dream thing or something supernatural. They are presented, individually, with a scenario as a test. Each outcome affects the character in some way, and the player knows it. What he doesn't know is that there is a "hidden" (or not so obvious) option, and choosing that option grants the true faith.

Let's see if I can give something resembling an example...

I'll go with the dream. (So this encounter happens somewhere in the middle of the adventure.) A little boy dressed in tatters and mud takes you by the hand and leads you into a room with three other doors, each with a window in it. Looking through the windows you see three different scenes. 1. The boy's favorite toy lies on the ground next to a coiled up viper. 2. a pouch of coins hangs from a tree. under it, a sleeping wolf lies. 3. A warm blanket and nice clothing lie folded up on a merchant's cart while the merchant craftily barters away all the possessions of the people in trade for his goods. What do you do? It would appear that there are three options. But for anyone who sits with the boy and prays for his deliverance from this purgatory will gain the True Faith reward instead of whatever reward is tied to each of the other three options.

Something like that.

Scott

Offline Profile