Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where is the Heart of Darkness
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:56 pm 

I'm curious but where in Africa is the Heart of Darkness?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Where is the Heart of Darkness
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:43 pm 

WH2e core book, pg 7: "there is a place in the center of Africa that is so corrupt that it is as if one were looking down the maw of Hell itself."

Judging from topographic maps, this place would be located in the jungle plateau region I'm central Africa. The Congo Basin? Sorry, my geography is sketchy and it's late.

I think the more important question is how far does this corruption spread? Are we talking about a 3-mile zone? 10 miles? 100 miles? Because that is going to change a lot of the cultural/tribal boundaries as well.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:17 pm 

That's what I'm wondering too. I was trying to figure it out so that I could determine who relevant would it be for the kingdom of Ethiopia. Them being on the east coast I'm thinking ..... not close enough to be a daily threat .... but defiantly something they might be concerned about and seek allies for dealing with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:05 pm 

Ok, going by this map, the most literal interpretation would put the HoD to the west of Nigar Lake (near the first "I" in Ethiopia). The two places most affected by this would be Median and Maitagazi.

If you wanted something more isolated, perhaps the bowl near Nimeamay, near the border with Abisinia.

Given the terrain, this place would probably easily avoided by the locals, and there would be plenty of markers, warnings, and no shortage of guardian spirits bound to the parameter. It could easily be the source of most of the supernatural creatures and monsters of legend in Africa; sort of an inverted garden of Eden, and the source of all evil things Pandora's Box style (hmm...perhaps there is a connection to that Greek tale). I think it would make sense for Ethiopia to have its own version of Solomon's Seal, containing this world wound. It wouldn't make sense for those people to associate it with Lucifer–certainly not at that point of prehistory, but it would be too big a deal not to have SOME impact on their prehistory. I think it would definitely give a leg up for Ethiopian Hermetic Mages and Diabolists (maybe even worthy of a Talent of some sort).

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:13 pm 

If it bears any similarity or relation to the actual Heart of Darkness book, that would put it in the Congo along the river perhaps south of Kisangani?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
If it bears any similarity or relation to the actual Heart of Darkness book, that would put it in the Congo along the river perhaps south of Kisangani?

Well if you're going to get all literal on us, John. ;) But yes, that location could work too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:43 pm 

Hello,

When I originally wrote about it, I envisioned that Lucifer landed in the Congo, hence the Heart of Darkness and corruption.

I also thought it would be poetic that he corrupted a place near/at where the Garden of Eden was thought to have been.

However, I left it vague as I wanted all GMs to have as much latitude as possible and not feel restricted by what was written.

Hope that helps.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:07 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello,

When I originally wrote about it, I envisioned that Lucifer landed in the Congo, hence the Heart of Darkness and corruption.

I also thought it would be poetic that he corrupted a place near/at where the Garden of Eden was thought to have been.

However, I left it vague as I wanted all GMs to have as much latitude as possible and not feel restricted by what was written.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. Do you guys think you'll ever explore that region? Even if you leave the Heart of Darkness exact location some what vague?

Quote:
I think it would make sense for Ethiopia to have its own version of Solomon's Seal, containing this world wound. It wouldn't make sense for those people to associate it with Lucifer–certainly not at that point of prehistory, but it would be too big a deal not to have SOME impact on their prehistory. I think it would definitely give a leg up for Ethiopian Hermetiiac Mages and Diabolists (maybe even worthy of a Talent of some sort).

Of the countries in Africa I think Ethiopia would be the one place that would likely to associate it with Lucifer. At least in the form that the Ethiopian empire takes that leads into the 17th century. The ruling dynasty at that time claims a direct lineage to Solomon. So between their Jewish and Christian populations I feel that it would be viewed in those terms. The more I study their history the more I feel if this game does only one thing with Africa Ethiopia is the place to do it if you want to have an easy integration into a standard WH game. The Emperor of that time was sending ambassadors all over Europe and they had open relations with France, which makes transplanting WH characters from that reason a lot easier than other parts of Africa.

Offline Profile