Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seventh Son Movie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:18 pm 

Is it just me or does this movie really scream out Witch Hunter? The movie got panned by critics but I thought it was a really fun romp.

I admit I had heard of WH before, but I really only thought about running it once I saw this movie because after some poking around online I found out this was the only current game on the market able to do a setting like Seventh Son.

Have any of you gotten any inspiration from the movie? I was considering a Talent that can only be taken at char gen called Seventh Son but am unsure about it's benefits: Maybe a resistance to saves against Witch/Hex magic? Any tips would be great. :mrgreen:

Some other similar movies I find to be inspiring for this game are Van Helsing (2004 I think, stars Hugh Jackman) and also the relatively recent Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters (this movie does kinda suck, but it's still fun/worth a rental I think)

Please also list any other similar inspiring movies. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Seventh Son Movie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:42 pm 

Hello,

I missed that one, but the two main movies that inspred me to write Witch Hunter were the Brotherhood of the Wolf and the Johnny Depp Sleepy Hollow movie.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:28 pm 

Oooh yes, definitely. Both are excellent in my opinion.

In fact, is there any fighting tradition/talent that can mimic the unarmed martial arts of Brotherhood of the Wolf? (it was a great movie). Though I don't think there was any real witch craft in it, thought perhaps the wolf can be reskinned as a warg. :D

Sleepy Hollow was great too. :)

If you liked those movies do watch Seventh Son, it's not as dark as those but it is darker than it looks in the trailers and there are real, and evil, witches in it. :)

Any tips about a Seventh Son talent would still be appreciated from anyone here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:42 pm 

After hearing from several bloggers how good the Last Apprentice was (book one of the series that inspired Seventh Son) I gave in and read it. It was pretty good and, yes, screamed witch hunter. Then I tried the first book in the new series, A New Darkness, and just couldn't get past the first quarter. One of the things I liked about the first book was the sense that the County might just be some little English burg. But A New Darkness firmly places it in yet another fantasy world without a lot to distinguish it from any other fantasy world. So...

However, one of the books Delaney has put out is a bestiary based on all his Spook novels. If you can get it, that would definitely be a good addition to your reference library for a WH game.

I haven't seen 7th Son and probably won't have a chance to any time soon. But if you liked it, definitely check out The Last Apprentice! And that bestiary. :)

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile