Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with an NPC background
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:45 am 

Hey everyone,

I'm working on some background for an NPC in an upcoming session and could use a little help. Let your imaginations run wild on this one.

So a young, seasoned witch hunter (Ashen Cross) goes off on an important assignment for the order. During the mission, he cracks. He murders the whole of his cadre and, by his actions, allows for a major victory for the adversary. After the disaster, he went off the grid and disappeared.

No one knows exactly what happened. Rumors include he went mad, was possessed by a powerful spirit, was seduced by evil, or worse. Whatever the truth, the incident was enough that the Order considers him persona non grata and wants him dead, and has dispatched several (failed) assassins to find and eliminate him.

So what sort of atrocity could this guy have caused that would really justify his (former) order's decision to have him taken out? And not in a over zealous, over reaction way. The sentence is justified. The crime can come right up to the line of irredeemable.

If it matters, time frame is probably around 1681-85.

Thanks for the help!
Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help with an NPC background
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 am 

It's pretty easy to spiral into depravity with Witch Hunter, but unless the Witch Hunter in question had a complete mind-break, it's more interesting to me to think of a trigger event.

The Fellowship of the Ashen Cross has an especial hatred of undead. The Witch Hunter in question encountered a close relative (parent, sibling, favored uncle or aunt) who has been turned into a vampire. Rather than trying to destroy it, he is trying to revert the undead curse. In doing so, he's giving away secrets of the Order that they use to fight undead, and delving into magics that will likely damn his soul.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help with an NPC background
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:51 pm 

Herid,

I'm all about the trigger event. Sorry, need to keep some things vague lest my players wander across them. The idea is about making a captivating roleplay opportunity for the players. Letting them play up against the local homegrown hero is one thing, but what if that homegrown hero is a former witch hunter in hiding guilty of an unspeakable crime. Now things get interesting. If you've seen the movie, Summersby, you will know the direction I'm leaning with this. I'm not looking to create a variation of the Gray Pilgrim here. Instead, this is more of an instance where the characters may have to decide what sort of punishment is due. Oddly, when I write it that way, it seems pretty timely in a grim sense. Sorry. :(

Love the idea of an undead connection. I'll definitely have to do something with that.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile