Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Low Hanging Fruit (Adventure inspiration)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:08 pm 

Alright everyone. Yes, it's a humor website. But if you can't turn this into an evening's witch hunter adventure in about 10 seconds, it's time to hang it up.

Bonus points if you post it to this thread.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Last edited by Blusponge on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Low Hanging Fruit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 am 

Ok, I'll start.

A young man has the misfortune to fall in love with the wrong woman. Her brothers frame him for witchcraft, an accusation the village is all to quick to accept as truth. Convicted, the young man is hung from a tree not far from the village outskirts. The initial fall fails to kill him, and his ensuing struggle angers a hidden hornet nest high in the tree. At first, the villagers cheer the hornets on, but are forced to withdraw as the swarm grows more aggressive. The young man's corpses is left to rot.

The vengeful spirit of the falsely accused bonds with the hornets, producing an unholy union. Ghost and swarm become one, and a village that once so enthusiastically embraced the butchery of one of its own must now suffer its vengeance.

Your turn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Low Hanging Fruit (Adventure inspiration)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:29 pm 

Hello Tom,

Not sure what you mean by this is a humor website (actually I thought that initial post was some sort of SPAM that went terribly wrong), but following your lead:

A series of ghastly murders take place in the small village of X (choose whatever locale you're running the game in). The village is now a prosperous one, but a generation ago, was struggling and almost failed (if a colony). But that was thirty years ago and now everyone is enjoying the bounty of the elder townsfolk’s' hard work.

The murders began a month ago and seem to be targeting the village elders who struggled so hard during the lean years. The reason is that:

A. The villagers made a desperate pact with a local witch to make their barren land fertile and bountiful. In exchange, the villagers offered a sacrifice of a child taken from other nearby towns or from the indigenous Indian population (if a colony), every year. After a decade of bountiful harvests and growing prosperity, the villagers tracked down the witch and killed her, believing that they no longer needed her help and the weight of sacrificing children and grown heavy on them. It is either the spirit of the witch or her coven that has returned to exact vengeance.

B. As above, except that the villagers instead made a pact with a demon that they summoned. Years passed and they grew fat and wealthy until a cadre of witch hunters stumbled across their village and knew that something was amiss. The villagers decided to point the cadre in the direction of their wealthiest member (who incidentally was the diabolist who led the original summoning) and divided up his wealth when the diabolist was killed and the demon banished. Now the ghost of the summoner and the demon have returned to wreak their vengeance on their former allies.

C. The village became prosperous the old fashion way: through hard work and perseverance. It is the envy and greed of the neighboring townsfolk who are behind the spate of murders – either through some sort of supernatural entity or the hiring of a particularly sadistic band of killers that were told to take what they liked from the rich homes in addition to their payment from the jealous village elders.

There you go –one setup and three possible solutions. Take your pick.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Low Hanging Fruit (Adventure inspiration)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:41 pm 

Henry,

Me? SPAM the forums? Yeah, I can see where the original thread time was a tinsy-bit vague (which is why I eventually tweaked it). For those leery of following the link, I'll go ahead and put up the image in question. I'm borderline bee-phobic, with a somewhat irrational fear of flying insects that sting (don't get me started on the rumors that Asian giant hornets have been transplanted to Texas – I'll never leave the house again!), so this image just stirs up all manner of horrible thoughts and nightmares in me.

That's a massive hornets nest fused to the remains of a wooden statue. Beautiful and terrifying.

So...anyone else got an idea for a WH scenario based on this?

Tom

Offline Profile